Just to say Bye Bye - Volvo V40 Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-12-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Just to say Bye Bye

It will come as no surprise for you to learn that at 1pm tomorrow the Volvo V40 will be gone and replaced by a new car from a different stable. Unfortunately I just did not take to it and decided it best to cut my loses and move on.
Thank you for your interest during my short stay with you and wish you all the best for the future.
This was my first Volvo since having a new 244 way back in 1979, but this one was not the answer I was looking for.
Bye and hope you continue to enjoy your V40s which was just not the car for me.
Regards
Telfer.

Last edited by 32561; 31-12-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 30-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Garage
Very disappointed to read this Telferstr
Given the issues you have experienced with that particular car I guess I can understand...
If you lived in Sydney I would have been more than happy to arrange to meet up & take you for a run in a DSP equipped 8 speed T5R.
My brain refuses to accept that you would have reached the same decision in my car. Arrogant & misguided? Very possibly!! But really I'm just utterly smitten

Very sorry to see you go feeling the way you do about the V40...
All the best in your chosen alternative mate
32561 likes this.

MY 2015 Black Sapphire T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar. Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 11:20 AM
egb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
It will come as no surprise for you to learn that at 1pm tomorrow the Volvo V40 will gone and replaced by a new car from a different stable. Unfortunately I just did not take to it and decided it best to cut my loses and move on.
Thank you for your interest during my short stay with you and wish you all the best for the future.
This was my first Volvo since having a new 244 way back in 1979, but this one was not the answer I was looking for.
Bye and hope you continue to enjoy your V40s which was just not the car for me.
Regards
Telfer.
Sorry to read this but having had a v40 cc that constantly had problems I can understand the total frustration felt in having a car that is new but cant be used without the thought of what's going wrong this time, we suffered for 8 months before the beast was returned through our lease terms which up and till then I didn't know existed, and thought we were stuck with the constant returns to the dealer service department with nothing really getting sorted, we took a different decision to you and stuck with Volvo but with an upgrade to an r lux, which has been chalk and cheese to the first one, it was a personal choice really over the seating comfort as we are both disabled and were very reluctant to go back to trying to find another car that matched the Volvo in that department, I wish you well in your new motor and many miles of fault free driving.
32561 likes this.

V40 D2 R powerdrive Lux my15 | Ice white | leather | heated screen / front Seats |

V40 D2 cc powerdrive Lux my15 | Black sapphire | leather | privacy glass | Returned |
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi Late Starter
Many thanks for your good wishes for the future.
I would say that there was nothing wrong with the cars actual performance having a strong performing engine, along with excellent brakes and precise steering..
The cutting out issue did tarnish the confidence in the car right from the start, though this I am now sure was due to the overall high gearing of the car. Latterly it has been okay as I have been changing down much earlier,to try and avoid the issue. But it did spoil the driving pleasure, I also found it a bit low getting in and out, maybe advancing years contribute to that, and my wife who has bad knees also found it more difficult to get in and out of compared to her excellent Citroen C3 Picasso. The roominess of the Citroen for its size, also I think contributed to the slightly cramped feeling when driving the V40. Anyway we have now moved on and thanks again and hope you are enjoying Sydney's summer weather.
All the best for 2017.
Regards,
Telfer.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Hi egb,
Thanks for your comments and pleased to learn you are now happy with your new car.
I did in fact work with Volvo in the early 80s though on the Truck side of their then joint business, when they were all one company as such, and enjoyed the Volvo 244s I had when working with them.
So when deciding to part with my 11 year old S-type, I thought the V40 would be the answer, as the Jaguar Dealership I dealt with also had the Volvo franchise. For various reason this proved the wrong decision on this occasion .
Thanks for your good wishes for the new car and on its first drive home we felt fine with it.
All good wish to you and yours for 2017.
Regards
Telfer.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM

Hi Telferstr
I am also considering getting rid of my v40 which is just over 1 year old.
I have experienced the cutting out when changing down - Volvo dealer says no fault codes recorded.
The engine light is currently on- sensor cleaned 3 or 4 times.
Vibration rattle from gear-lever 5th & 6th - modified gear change remote now fitted still not happy.
There is no pleasure driving the car now I feel I am constantly monitoring the issues both Volvo dealer Taggarts Motherwell and Volvo uk are hopeless.
Good luck with your new car.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Hi Dereko,

Sorry to learn that you are having problems still with your V40. I dealt with Taggart's North Glasgow for over 10years and found them very good and had no bad experience with them in all that time. As far as the Volvo is concerned its was in their workshop only twice to investigate the cutting out problem, but like you nothing was found. As said in above post, I changed my driving style to try and overcome the issue and it did more or less stop the problem, though it could still catch you out if you stopped thinking about it.
The new car also a 6 speed manual gearbox with diesel engine and fortunately has no such problem, and is an absolute pleasure to drive. So easy by comparison
The issue with my V40 was definitely the overall high gearing of the car, which did help with an excellent low fuel consumption, but at the price of making it tiresome to drive by having the stalling issue constantly at the back of your mind.
The new car which is a Mitsubishi is a different style of car altogether, a much higher stance, but with a surprisingly smooth ride, which is better than expected, and a much roomier cabin area all round. It also has a very good spec with lots of good features and wonderful HEADLIGHTS. The best headlights I've had on a car.
Hope all goes well with your car and they can rectify the engine light problem, hopefully under warranty etc., which may help you with any future decision you have to make.
Thanks for your good wishes for the new car and wish you and yours all the best for 2017.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by 32561; 06-01-2017 at 05:07 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 05:21 PM

Garage
Just to say Bye Bye

I love my V40 but it's an auto, I had to have a loan car while mine was in for a service and they loaned me an R-design D2 manual, I can honestly say that if I was looking for a manual car I don't think I could live with the horrendous springy clutch. I mean it didn't help that I have a bad left knee, hence needing and auto, but it really did feel strange to me and finding the biting point in a hurry caught me out a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Once over the hill you begin to pick up speed!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:07 AM

Garage
I used to have a mitsubishi ASX 1.8 DID a much nicer car than the V40 cc was the first diesel with variable valve timing pulled like anything from 1500revs to the red line in all gears,had to watch speeds as very easy to break limits. It's a shame they stopped making the engine due to emissions laws.

V40 CC lux D2 geartronic lux winter pack osmium grey.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas-couple View Post
I used to have a mitsubishi ASX 1.8 DID a much nicer car than the V40 cc was the first diesel with variable valve timing pulled like anything from 1500revs to the red line in all gears,had to watch speeds as very easy to break limits. It's a shame they stopped making the engine due to emissions laws.
Hi cas-couple,
Mine has their new 1.6 diesel which as the old 1.8 did develops its Torque well down in the rev range, giving it a surprising lively performance going up through the gears. I'm fining it so easy to drive by comparison to the V40. Mind you the 2Ltr 150bhp Volvo Diesel has a great take off in 3rd gear, and generally a good performance all round. But, unfortunately I just did not like the car overall and that's down to me, but the high gearing did have its down side also.
Regards,
Telfer.

Last edited by 32561; 07-01-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.