Hard wiring a Dashcam into a V40. - Volvo V40 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Question Hard wiring a Dashcam into a V40.

Has anyone had a Dashcam hardwired into their V40?. We do not have a driveway and the road outside is constantly moving with people parking their cars to to to Leeds on the train as we live near the local station and I'm worried about going out and finding marks on my new Volvo.
I respect David Pogue the US tech journalist and and he spoke positively about this Viofo A119 dashcam, it was one of his Christmas picks https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...A3L6UK2D36A5AI it also gets great customer reviews. It's a good price (£120 with a 64Gb card) and has a parking mode that will record if motion is sensed even at night.
I got a quote for around £30 a local audio/car company will fit it so its connected by a 'Magic Box' that I assume won't let the battery discharge to the point where the car won't start so you can leave it running.
I would want to hide the cable as much as possible so inside the car still feels minimal.

There is a great video on youtube of footage shot with the Viofo A119

Has anyone had any luck in fitting one?

Many Thanks

shiveringgoat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:19 PM

I had a blackview mounted professionally, also using the magic box (power magic pro) that in my case is hidden in the little cubbyhole just above the ODB2 connector. Not a single visible wire, so if your techie, knows what he is doing, should be allright.
And yes the magic box is connected to an always-on fuse and checks voltage to see if it does not drain the battery too far.
Your mounting price is dirt cheap I must say. The power magic box itself is about 20 GBP

V40 D4 Summum R-Design Caspian Blue Metallic, with a tad of Rica magic applied
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Hi,

I'm considering installing a Blackview in my new V40 to be delivered in 2 weeks Where have you installed the camera? The dash cam I had installed in my XC60 was partially obscured by the central City safe laser housing.

Thanks

Rob
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:46 PM

No city safe rubbish in my car.... (I am not so fond of all those nanny systems, they make a driver count on them too much and if then you switch to an old(er) car.....)
So in my car the blackvue is mounted just below the rear view mirror

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anixie View Post
No city safe rubbish in my car.... (I am not so fond of all those nanny systems, they make a driver count on them too much and if then you switch to an old(er) car.....)
So in my car the blackvue is mounted just below the rear view mirror
To a point I agree with you but I REALLY like the adaptive cruise control for country driving and you can't have one without t'other . IMHO, the most useless Volvo safety feature is BLIS - with properly adjusted mirrors, there is no "blind spot".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:29 PM

Garage
Hmmm... Respectfully disagree with both of you... although we are getting off the thread topic here!
As I've stated previously in a thread discussing the various DSP gadgetry...
If the safety gear or nanny gear as you like to call it anixie saves just one life or serious injury it is worth every cent!
I can't help but think if the DSP gear was standard fit on every car the accident rates & road tolls would be considerably reduced!
Not everyone on the road has 20 or 30+ years experience.
End of Sermon

MY 2015 Sapphire Black T5 R-Design, DSP, Heated Front Seats, Tinted Windows, 18" Ixion II's, Bi-Xenons with ABL & AHB, Polestar.
Visit my garage for full Oz R-Design specs.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:11 AM

Having 20 or 30 years of driving experience does not make someone a safer driver...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.hann View Post
Having 20 or 30 years of driving experience does not make someone a safer driver...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.hann View Post
Oh yes it does - ask any insurance company why they inflict higher premiums and deductibles on younger drivers and why all statistics invariably point to older drivers as safer.

Back on topic has anyone at all had experience with this dashcam?

http://www.kammu.com/shop/dash-cam/v...v40-xc60-xc90/

MY15 Cross Country T5 Lux Chrystal White Pearl,
Polestar, Centre Court Console, Park Assist, Seat Heat

MY15 S60 Polestar - Sapphire Black with REAL dipstick and NO start/stop.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 04:02 AM

Thoroughly disagree there is a very high percentage of experienced driver's whom have accidents or are the cause of accidents or have points on their licenses for various motoring offences... Yes experience can stand for some thing but only when the "experienced"driver is not blasé about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 AM

amount of years doesn't count. Amount of miles and where they were driven do count. Must be close to 700.000 miles city traffic myself...

Back on topic, haven't seen that dashcam, doesn't seem to have GPS onboard, so no speed recording.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.