Star and stop unavailable and burn smell - Volvo V40 Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-02-2013, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Star and stop unavailable and burn smell

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately my V40 its making some surprises.

For two times now, one at 1450km, and another now at 2900km.

When I'm driving in the city my start and stop becomes unavailable and a smell of burning rubber coming from the engine starts to enter in the V40 interior. I close the air circuit but after more or less two minutes it becomes impossible to breathe inside the car and all the passengers have to exit the car. I suspect that this only happens when I'm stopped or driving at very low speeds, like 10 to 20km/h. I go to the front of the V40 and a intense smell of burning rubber comes out from the engine grid exactly like the one that goes to the interior. The star and stop system gives the message that it becomes unavailable because probably the engine its to hot or maybe Im driving at very high altitude. Neither one. The LCD points normal temperature, Im almost at sea level and the temperature outside its 12 degrees Celsius. The only thing that's hot its near the grid where the eat from the engine comes out.

I already reported this to my dealer and they reported to the factory but until now I don't have any answer from the factory. My dealer suspect that the regeneration of the particulate filter its the responsible but his not sure.

Anyone had something similar to what I reported in its V40?

By the way mine its the D4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 22-02-2013, 04:50 PM

RE: Star and stop unavailable and burn smell

Probable reason : Clutch misuse. Remember that D4 is a mighty engine and multiple stop and go's in city traffic may "torment" your clutch.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 23-02-2013, 12:39 AM

Don't worry at all, this is 100% DPF regeneration and why the start /stop won't work as the filter is going through its cycle. The smell is burning diesel exhaust deposits. You may find the cooling fan comes on and also the car feels a bit faster once completed
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. Volvo decided to recall my car tomorrow. It seems that for now mine its the only one with the situation that I described above and they want to investigate it. I will give more information when there are further developments.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 02:58 PM

They won't find any faults, it happens on most modern diesels
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 25-02-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydy
They won't find any faults, it happens on most modern diesels
Yes, they don't think the car has any serious problem. They are just worried with the smell going directly to the interior. Having your car doing the regeneration of the DPF while you are cruising in the city and suddenly after two minutes the interior becomes unbreathable and you have to go out the car its what they are worried about and I also.

I think they are going to force the DPF regeneration and study the problem.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

update:

They acknowledge the problem and made an software update to the engine management hardware.
It seems that the DPF regeneration wasn't working 100%.
1000 kilometers after the update all I have to say its that situation didn't repeat itself.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 11:46 AM

that's good news! I'm glad they managed to sort it for you.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday I detected my first DPF regeneration since the software uptade when I was arriving home. Just for curiosity I decided to keep driving around until the regeneration finish its work. I needed to drive for more 8 km until the end of it. All went well. But I have to say if you are unlucky to have the regeneration starting when your stopped in traffic just cruising in first gear, you better close all the windows and shut the air circulation cause the smell its pretty intense...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs
Yesterday I detected my first DPF regeneration since the software uptade when I was arriving home. Just for curiosity I decided to keep driving around until the regeneration finish its work. I needed to drive for more 8 km until the end of it. All went well. But I have to say if you are unlucky to have the regeneration starting when your stopped in traffic just cruising in first gear, you better close all the windows and shut the air circulation cause the smell its pretty intense...
Now that you don't get the noxious fumes, how can you tell when your V40 is doing a DPF regeneration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.