Door Locking - Volvo V40 Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 25-05-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Door Locking

I had noticed on my V40 that on occasion the driver's door wouldn't open at the end of a journey until I had unlocked all doors, so I decided to experiment.

At the end of a journey a few days ago I stopped and turned engine off. Then I pulled the door handle towards me, and unlocked then locked the doors. At that point I was deadlocked in on the driver's side.

I unlocked all the doors, but couldn't get the driver's door to open. No matter what I did, I was locked in. The other doors could open OK. I restarted the engine, unlocked again, even opened the window but the door couldn't be opened from outside either!
I played with all the settings in My Car regarding security and arming the door locks and alarm, to no avail.

I ended up getting out the passenger door.

The next day the doors were back to normal and since then my door opens even if the rest are locked, but what happened was strange. Can someone else try the above to see if it's a generic problem or just something I need to get looked at?

many thanks
El_trabuco likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 25-05-2013, 09:24 AM

Although the door locks now seem to be OK, the problem might just conceivably reoccur on an occasion when you need to get out of the car quickly. I think you should ask your dealer to look into the problem.

Last edited by Yellowbelly; 25-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 25-05-2013, 04:20 PM

I had the same issue, with the front passenger door, as mentioned on my blog in the quarterly reports. The lock was replaced by Volvo. The issue has yet not returned.

V40 T4 Momentum Polestar :: www.myv40.com
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robathome View Post
I had noticed on my V40 that on occasion the driver's door wouldn't open at the end of a journey until I had unlocked all doors, so I decided to experiment.

At the end of a journey a few days ago I stopped and turned engine off. Then I pulled the door handle towards me, and unlocked then locked the doors. At that point I was deadlocked in on the driver's side.

I unlocked all the doors, but couldn't get the driver's door to open. No matter what I did, I was locked in. The other doors could open OK. I restarted the engine, unlocked again, even opened the window but the door couldn't be opened from outside either!
I played with all the settings in My Car regarding security and arming the door locks and alarm, to no avail.

I ended up getting out the passenger door.

The next day the doors were back to normal and since then my door opens even if the rest are locked, but what happened was strange. Can someone else try the above to see if it's a generic problem or just something I need to get looked at?

many thanks

I had the same problem with N/S/R door, and yes the next morning it was back to normal, very strange but frustrating at the time with grandchildren in the back.

Volvo154

Last edited by volvo154; 03-06-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 27-06-2013, 09:35 PM

when the doors are automatically locked, it is not possible to open the front passenger door without having to unlock all doors from the driver's door. should it be like this?

Volvo V40 T3 | Black Sapphire Mettalic | Summum edition | 18'' Midir |
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 29-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidu View Post
when the doors are automatically locked, it is not possible to open the front passenger door without having to unlock all doors from the driver's door.
Not possible in ours as far as I could see. Noticed this for the first time on the same day as your post

[/QUOTE] should it be like this?[/QUOTE]
Not, IMHO but is. Overkill on safety?
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 13-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Not possible in ours as far as I could see.
A further check - the front passenger can open their door while central locking is on, even when being driven.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Just to follow up on this - the lock was replaced under warranty and is now working OK
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 24-07-2014, 08:56 AM

replaced already 3 times

Hi, I've a V40 Cross Country dated april/2013. I've had a similar problem multiple times. First with the rear/left door which, at the end of the journey occasionally could not be opened, neither form inside nor outside, even after repeatedly pressing the unlock button. usually after one or two days it "unlocked" itself and could be opened again.
My service shop replaced the lock mechanism once, then the problem started again after 4-5 months and replaced it again.
Now I've the same problem on the driver door, though this time if I press the unlock button the door can be opened, and they are replacing the lock mechanism again.
I asked the get it replaced on all four doors, but they said this is not a "known defect" so they cannot replace it under warranty.
What does it take to make it a known defetct?
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 24-07-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidu View Post
when the doors are automatically locked, it is not possible to open the front passenger door without having to unlock all doors from the driver's door. should it be like this?
No your lock is faulty take it back to the dealer they will replace it straight away (or should do), my dealer looked at me gone out when I just told them to fix it without booking it in, I pointed out it was safety issue, they said nothing further and sorted it.

The issue with the door locks seem this is happening quite regularly now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Volvo V40 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.