Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have mentioned in a couple of posts that I was considering replacing our CC 1.6 D2 with a D3, or maybe a T3 and not having had an opportunity to drive a petrol V40; only the 5 pot D3 and both engine types of D2, I decided to go look at a CC T3 and a CC T5 I'd seen advertised at a dealers just over 2 hours drive away; local dealer did have a T5 but not a T3 strangely.

Dealer offered me a go in the T5 first and that was me hooked; the T3 was instantly forgotten. The car has the same options as our D2 (intellisafe and winter plus packs), with the exception of a tow bar, which hopefully will be added to it by mid next week, so we can collect by the weekend.

So here's to being on first name terms with the chap at the local filling station :grin2:

Ed875.

·
Registered
766 Posts
congratulations on going for another v40 and a t5 at that, I intend to go for a t3 r pro next march when our present lease is up, that being that its still on the lease list then, with the new xc 40 coming out but that would not be a choice as it would be to high on the door sill for mrs b, but really you have to go a long way to get the comfort of a Volvo to my mind, I do hope you can enjoy your new motor even though as you say you are going to see a lot more petrol stations up close. :wink2:

·
Registered
941 Posts
LOL!! Congrats >:)
Comes as NO surprise to me at all :grin2:
If all you do are short trips she can be thirsty but show her some open road and you will be pleasantly surprised considering the power bump from a D2
All that's left to say now, and I consider it a given...
Enjoy :wink2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Enjoy. And not just the extra power but the delivery of it through 4WD and 8-speed auto.
The T5 CC is actually the fastest V40 0-60 though not the highest top speed (which is academic really).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enjoy. And not just the extra power but the delivery of it through 4WD and 8-speed auto.
The T5 CC is actually the fastest V40 0-60 though not the highest top speed (which is academic really).
Yes noticed it was rather quick off the mark from a standing start and without really trying :grin2:

Had a number of AWD before, mainly Haldex equipped Skoda's and have missed the 'running on rails' feel since parting with the last one over 3 years ago, so looking forward to being reacquainted with this setup once more :smile2:

Though this is my first auto, I have driven a few before, including a very recent drive in a BMW 220d auto and I was impressed how smoothly the box changed gears in the Volvo compared to the BM, which I've read somewhere, is considered to have one of the best auto's on the current market.

Ed875

·
Registered
590 Posts
It really is a very smooth box.
I'm impressed by the whole T5 CC package, it's almost as fast (up to 70) as my other car; and that is a big V8 4.2 Quattro Audi. :nerd:
(No chance of keeping up on the Autobahn though :x )

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked the T5 up this lunchtime, although too late home to get any pics as yet. Hope to get an opportunity tomorrow to post up.

With this being our second V40, it was almost like not having a new car, however putting your foot down quickly reminded me that this is not the V40 experience I'm used to, along with the slightly more comfy leather seats, over the cloth in the SE and having a redundant left foot :grin2:

On the drive home the nav kept us on the back A roads due to traffic reports, so I didn't get much chance to use the adaptive cruise, however when I did get the opportunity, I noticed downhill the car initially went over the set speed before dropping back; the D2 also with the adaptive system would hold the set speed no matter which way the road was pointing. Anybody experienced this, or can make comment?

Ed875

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes I've noticed that too in my T5, especially on steeper downhill sections. It seems to drift above the set speed (presumably just lifting the throttle) then decide to apply the brakes and/or downshift when a few mph in excess and drop back to the target speed.

Was your D2 manual? That would get more engine braking.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the D2 was 6 speed manual and thanks for confirming this over speed is normal behaviour with the T5.

Very impressed with the 8 speed auto box; what bit of motorway I did get to use, demonstrated how those extra gears can keep the revs down when cruising along at 70; indicating around 1800 rpm compared to the D2 at 2100. Mind the D2 gave an average of 62mpg according to the trip going to collect the T5, against its 39 coming home (with a wisker over 2k on the clock).

Ed875

·
Registered
941 Posts
Indeed... I've experienced the same. I still wouldn't buy a Volvo without it though!
Something to stay mindful of if your local constabulary are out for easy marks by setting up their radars at the bottom of hills :dodgy:

Very glad but not certainly not surprised to hear how impressed you are with the Geartronic/T5 combo!
It would have to be the best gearbox/engine combo I've ever had the pleasure of using, of which there have been many & Polestar just puts a big cherry on top of that >:)

And so... Another T5 love affair begins! :grin2:
Enjoy :wink2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Something to stay mindful of if your local constabulary are out for easy marks by setting up their radars at the bottom of hills :dodgy:
Indeed. I'm in the habit of just dropping the speed a bit, using the steering wheel controls, just in case in such situations.

In my other car (with old-school cruise control which doesn't brake but also an auto) I have steering wheel tiptronic controls so just drop a gear or two and get decent engine braking to achieve the same.

We have a couple of such "honey traps" close to home, neither on sections of road with any history of accidents or any obvious dangers. :dodgy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts