Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use your 12v socket to plug mobile phones/GPS car chargers? Is it working? Well, mine stopped working some weeks ago and, today, when i took my V40 to its annual maintenance service, I was told that it was probably beacause the 12v socket fuse burned out. He says it should not be used for plugging mobile phones car chargers! Only for lighters! He told me he could replace the fuse but if I keep on plugging mobile phones car chargers, the fuse will burn out again!

Besides, he told me it happens with all volvo models!

I've had 4 or 5 different cars (not Volvos) until today and I had never heard such thing!

What do you think about this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I shall be annoyed if this is the case, but your dealer's warning appears to be at odds with pages 236/237 of the V40 manual, which states:

The electrical sockets can be used for various
accessories designed for 12 V, e.g. TV screens,
music players and mobile phones.
Max. power takeoff is 10 A (120 W) in either
socket

·
Registered
94 Posts
I noticed this I have a small 12v torch I use. The socket beside the cupholders is a different design from the one in the cubby- the cupholder one seems like a normal lighter type, whereas the cubby one is a socket for chargers etc. Have you tried both?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use the cupholder socket almost all the time, to charge my phone that doubles as satnav (Waze). I have one of those double socket chargers, I think it's 3.5 A max. On various occasions, my wife charged her phone simultaneously as I was charging mine. No problems whatsoever.

If I had to guess, you might have a problem with wiring/contacts in our around the socket installation. There's something that pulls a much stronger current than the charger itself, and that's why the fuse blows so often.

Oh, just in case, you might want to check declared max current on your charger (in amps). Unless it's a charger for tactical radio stations, it should not go nowhere near 10 amperes.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry, on second reading I realised your fuse blew only once, so disregard the part about faulty wiring, at least if it doesn't happen again. it might have been an odd spike in the current that blew your fuse.

But in any case, that thing about 12v socket not being for cell phones is utter rubbish. I am quite surprised even a halfwit mechanic could have come up with that.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you use your 12v socket to plug mobile phones/GPS car chargers? Is it working?
What do you think about this?
As Petrust says - it should.
"The electrical sockets can be used for various accessories designed for 12 V, e.g. TV screens, music players and mobile phones." (p. 237)

Have been using the one in the cup holder regularly to charge a Galaxy S3.
No problems.

·
Registered
718 Posts
He says it should not be used for plugging mobile phones car chargers! Only for lighters! He told me he could replace the fuse but if I keep on plugging mobile phones car chargers, the fuse will burn out again! Besides, he told me it happens with all volvo models!

What absolute nonsense. A 12v 10A supply is just that. A mobile phone or similar device will only be taking about 300mA. I run our satnav off the socket with no problem. If the dealer told me I couldn't charge a mobile phone then I would be complaining to his top management, and copying Volvo.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Sounds nonsense to me too.

Mind you, I don't charge a mobile battery from the dc supply in the car. Using such a supply frequently will really shorten the batteries life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your feedback on this. I hope it has been just a question of bad luck or a faulty fuse, but if that happens again, I'll surely get back to them and demand that they get a better explanation than this one...

Meanwhile, I'll check the charger voltage even though it's the same one I had been using in my previous cars.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check the maximum current (measured in amperes, A) - the voltage should be 12 V anyhow.

---------------------

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I also don't agree with the dealer feedback, no issues with phone chargers yet

·
Registered
10 Posts
Happened with mine too - dealer said the fuse blows when something is plugged in whilst the engine is running. He advised to plug any phones/sat navs etc. in before starting the engine and to stop the engine before removing them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Why on earth should having the engine running cause a fuse to blow. Fuses blow when the device that is plugged in draws too much current. The fuse rating is 15 amps. I can't think of any device that draws 15 amps, that is 180 watts, unless you are brewing your morning cuppa!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.