Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The printed brochure my dealer gave us when we ordered our V40 a few weeks ago lists the R-Design and R-Design Lux as having 'Lowered Sports Chassis (D2 only)' as a standard feature, it is not an option on any other variant of the V40.

This is a change from the previous glossy brochure, but I can't find anything out on this yet.

Does anyone know any more information on this one?

I am unsure why, but in both brochures, the drag coefficient for the D2 is 0.29 vs. 0.31 for all other engine...is this perhaps because it is by default a little lower, or because it has a different tyre profile?

Not entirely sure what else would affect the DC...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes it would appear that the new web e-brochure does confirm manual D2 R-Designs come with the lowered sport chassis as standard now. I was originally thinking that this may have helped the emissions via a drop in cd as you indicate but now I'm not too sure as the 88g/km is across all D2's and not just the R-Design.
Secondly if the sport chassis is standard on D2's where does that leave the Sport pack. Cheaper now on D2 R-Designs as it's only window tints and 3 way steering force?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may just be lower but not have the sports suspension which I presume is stiffened springs and shocks?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Aha quite possibly, lowering usually only requires shorter springs. Yes new monotube dampers with upgraded valving and thicker ARBs on the sports chassis.
For the last 36 hours, the R-Design has vanished completely from Volvo UK's website and isn't available in the configurator either. I assume they're finalising all the details and options.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spec does state Lowered Sports Chassis though...that implies springs and shocks.

I can view the R-Design on the UK configurator...

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's back :) - I last checked this morning about 6 am.
Let see if they've fixed it ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nope - still no sports pack option :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're doing it just to annoy you :)

The Sports Suspension is still listed as an option for the R-Design D2, at the same price, so I'm confuddled!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Still no R-Design pages on the Volvo UK site

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes they are now - weren't at 16:05 - All i got was a page not found URL and a default placeholder when I clicked the I want sometimes gets banner.
I wouldn't mind but I can't even say they've changed the content.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ok so after 2 days of phoning Volvo Customer Relations and various dealers trying to get to the bottom of lowered chassis option Volvo finally confirmed that it does come as standard on the D2 R-Designs. The website/configurator will be amended to clear up the ambiguity, as even the dealers gave me conflicting info and none knew either way.
So in summary only the rear window tints and the 3 way steering force need be specified on the D2 to bring it to the equivalent of the Sports Pack for all other engine variants.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm a happy bunny then, we decided against the Sports Pack as I was the only one who wanted the lowered chassis, and I'll not drive it too often - now we get it anyway :)

Don't suppose they said why it is standard on the D2 only? Guessing emissions...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Indeed you will be getting it for free :)
No, they didn't unfortunately, but going on how long it took for them to establish that the D2 comes with it as standard, I wouldn't hold out much hope for getting the reasoning anytime soon though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts