Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My only real complaint with the car is the Matres wheels.
I chose 16" after years of driving cars with lower profile tyres.
But the Matres wheels fitted to my V40 seem to be missing any sort of lacquer. They get dirty very easily and are a real pain to clean. Even Autoglym custom wheel cleaner struggles to remove the grime.
Has anybody else noticed this problem?

·
Registered
153 Posts
That's really disappointing... with my Mannans I'm having to keep them cleaned at least every couple of weeks as there is already a few brake dust spots that won't seem to budge when I wash them. Hoping the pads are properly bedded in now so there won't be so much dust.
At least the Matres only have 5 spokes... Mannans have 10, twice as fiddly.

Can anyone recommend a good wheel cleaner before it get's any worse?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is due its 3 month first check over at the dealers next week. I'll be lodging a complaint then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
630 Posts
That really must be disappointing. It's things like that which take the shine (no pun intended) off getting a new car. I've never had matt finish alloys so it's never crossed my mind that it might be difficult to clean brake dust off them. I now have to rethink my plan to order an SE variant with the standard 16" Matres wheels. I certainly don't want larger diameter wheels. The brochure shows a picture of a 16" Geminus wheel which looks shiny, but it doesn't appear in the options list, and neither does it appear in the V40 accessories list nor the "configurator".

As soon as my dealer locates a T4-engined car for me to test drive I'll take the matter up with them. I only clean my wheels once in a blue moon so it's an important factor for me.[hr]
"The brochure shows a picture of a 16" Geminus wheel which looks shiny, but it doesn't appear in the options list, and neither does it appear in the V40 accessories list nor the "configurator"."

I've just found them. They're standard on the Cross Country SE variant.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you hang on until I've seen my dealer on the 17th? And I will let you what their response is.
I've also Volvo UK about it on twitter...But not expecting them to respond.
Maybe its just my alloys. I found a photo on the net that shows them with a reflective glossy finish. So I'm now perplexed that mine have a matt finish.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think perhaps the clue to the finish of Matres wheels is that they are called Silver Stone whereas other silver wheels are called Silver Bright. The picture of them in the UK brochure certainly makes them look matt. Also "stone" has a matt finish. I'm in no hurry to do anything until I've had a test drive of a T4 car, and so far my dealer (well, their head office actually) haven't yet come up with one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've now found a bigger photograph of a Matres wheel. This makes the wheel look glossy. http://tinyurl.com/arpy4hv
I'm all confused. :blush:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Andytech said:
My only real complaint with the car is the Matres wheels.
I chose 16" after years of driving cars with lower profile tyres.
But the Matres wheels fitted to my V40 seem to be missing any sort of lacquer.
I've just been to my dealer to chivvy them up into getting an SE T4 for me to test drive, and I took the opportunity to look at Matres wheels on an ES D2. I rubbed the surface and it was as glossy as I would have expected, so I don't have any apprehension or misgivings in that respect.

Regarding the test drive, the dealer has failed to find a T4 anywhere within their company and they are now contacting Volvo Cars UK Ltd to see whether they can come up with one. I'm beginning to feel as if I'm a right awkward so-and-so for wanting to remain a confirmed petrolhead! :blush:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm...Maybe mine are just a bad batch.
Have a look at this site and see if they can help with you test drive http://www.drivefreedom.co.uk/
You really won't regret buying a V40 IMHO. It's the first time in years I've had a car that puts a smile on face every time I drive it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Andytech said:
Have a look at this site and see if they can help with you test drive http://www.drivefreedom.co.uk/
When Volvo Cars UK Ltd supply my dealer with a petrol demonstrator I would imagine it will come from their stock of "drivefreedom" cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts