Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. To keep it short, do the front (outer side) brake pads need the retaining clip spring holder?

I ordered some brake pads but I noticed the new front pads (outer side) did not come with the attached spring holder (see attached photo). The pads sit nicely on the bracket but I'm concerned the retaining spring will not be attached to the brake pad. Thanks in advance :)

Retaining Spring on bracket assembly:
Automotive tire Wood Rim Bumper Tints and shades

To be replaced, 4mm outer brake pad with spring holder (outlined as blended into background)
Removed spring at bottom:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

New brake pads with inner pad piston clip but no retaining spring clip holder on outer pad:

White Hood Light Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you may have been supplied with wrong pads for your model V40.
I have just taken delivery of genuine Volvo pads for my V40 D2 and they are the same outer pad as you have in your pics.
I have also now just checked the existing pads on my car and they definitely do not have that spring retainer clip that you have, my calipers are completely different to the type that you shown in your pic have, hence why I say that you have got the wrong pads for your car.
Hope this helps,
Alan.
Thanks for the reply Alan. I think to be safe, I'll just return the pads and get the proper type. That's what I get for being cheap. At least the rear bosch pads are done.
I would imagine the spring retainer clip just does what the tin says and hold the brake pad in a stationary position. Question for ya, does your caliper bracket have an imprint for the size of your rotors? Mine has a 128mm imprint which I thought was incorrect but I forgot to actually measure the rotors or look for any imprints. o_O

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

1 - 2 of 2 Posts