Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a D4 Polestar with 19 inch alloys and 235 35 19 tyres

the combined effect of the tyres , wheels and suspension make the ride far too harsh

my local tyre shop has suggested that 225 40 19 will fit resulting in a less harsh ride

they have tested one tyre which rolls and doesn’t catch but obviously there is less room in the arch - I’m worried about bottoming out over bumps with loads

before I buy 4 new tyres has anyone fitted these and can you let me know the outcome

also if there are any other solutions which don’t involve changing wheels / suspension as I’m that frustrated with the ride I’m considering selling

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
Best option here is find someone with an R Design fitted with 17" and swap wheels! 225/45/17 has plenty of sidewall to soak up bumps😀
But seriously, I agree the lowering springs coupled with a 35 profile will make for a firm ride... Just be careful changing tyre size with insurance, some will view the size change as a modification. Plenty of tyre calculators to show the difference in sizes, be worth a look.
Tyre Size Calculator (tiresize.com)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Insurance can be very weird. The first thing to determine is whether any change you're considering is an "OEM" option, either a standard choice or available on other models in the same range.
If it's different size tyres and they're listed on the car sticker or in the manual I'd not worry.
If it's outside that they WILL want to know and might refute a claim if you hadn't told them. Standard kit they probably won't be too bothered about, but best to tell them.
That said, most companies are less picky about "sensible" mods these days and won't necessarily charge anything, they just want to know.

My insurers used to get really interested a decade or more ago in the fact that I fitted winter tyres, these days they couldn't care less!
Though they do want to know that I have two sets of wheels (winter and summer) as that's something I have to store when not in use so it is, to them, an extra risk. no charge though. Not on the V40 though as that has all-season tyres (Michelin Cross-Climate 2) that's my other car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts