Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the quick search around the forum I was ale to find out that I'm not alone with this issue.

The error came up the first time in 2016 and disappeared after a re-start.
Then several times in early 2017, disappearing after re-start. Then permanent error happened late 2017. Went to a dealer, they did some magic and the error was gone for 2.5 years until yesterday.

Took it to a dealer, they say I need to replace steering rack. It's 1,600 USD includingparts and work, lead time is 3 weeks.

As I understand this error is a design fault, that causes issues with the torque sensors. As I understand same problem happens on Mk3 Focuses. I saw user @buzby mentioning in one of the threads that the steering rack on Mk3 Focus is the same as on v40.

Is there any fix to this? Information online says that sometimes replacing the battery helps.

The car's value iscomparatively low these days, and $1600 is around 10-15% of the value of the car itself.

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
15 Posts
I would also like some information on this, have had my V40 for two years now and got the error some 4-6 times. Always sorted by re-start.
But sometimes I do not even get the error, the power steering will just become active with a few seconds delay after start.

Will have my top strut bearings replaced on the weekend, have to ask the mechanic about this, he has worked a long time with Volvos.
Would be nice to know what kind of magic your dealer did earlier and is there some fix to keep a not-yet-broken rack in better shape?

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
15 Posts
Sadly no update to this issue from me, the mechanic was not aware of any V40 steering rack issues, he has not needed to replace a single one.
From what I read on Ford-forums, the problem lies in the control module for the Ford EPAS (Electric Power Assisted Steering) which seems to be extremely sensitive to low battery voltage.
Low voltage on startup can disable the power steering and give a warning message. This is apparently solved with software updates.
If battery and software updates ok, then it might just be the control module has failed. Apparently quite common on these Ford all-electric power steerings, and it being a compact all-in-one unit, it has to be replaced completely. There are firms in UK repairing these units, so perhaps also other companies that repair car electrics might be able to help?
Oh, and apparently several other faults in the EPAS: overheating, failing torque sensors etc. Not looking good :confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts