Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

Im in a hunt for used V40 most likely D4 just want to know what im getting my self into since im not familiar with the brand, hear its similar to Focus?
Hows the Engine i hear it has some timing belt issues? And that it has 5 cyl?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi, the timing belt issues are mainly getting someone to actually confirm the mileage to change!! i'd say the biggest common D4 concern is egr coolers. However, this is common across all brands, so no less unreliable in my opinion. dpf issues, again the same as many brands with diesel engines, the whole industry has issues... The car shares many electrics and its suspension with focus and kuga, but the D4 engine is a Volvo unit, unlike the 1.6 D2 with is PSA / Ford sourced. Newer cars are 4 cylinder, the older D3 5 cylinder if i remember correctly? The V40 is quieter, more refined than the focus, the interior is a nice place to spend a journey so is well worth the extra cost, compared to the Ford. I have an older 1.6 D2, and at one point i wanted to drive it into a lake. Would I buy another? YES. But not with the PSA/ Ford engine :)
Before you choose diesel, think about how you use the car, unless you do decent mileage the petrol could be a sensible option

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think the old 5-pot D3/D4 (it's the same engine, just different software) is the best option for the V40. The engine is the last edition of the quite durable and successful 5cylinder diesel engine developed by Volvo and not known for serious issues. I've read one or two cases of cracked cylinder heads and egr issues. The D4 has a the best balance between punch and efficiency (having driven a D2, a D3, a D4 and the T5) and in my opinion sounds just wonderful, compared to the later even more efficient D4 4-pot and all other 4-pot diesels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts