Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i bought the new V40 D5 cross country and cant understand why the car always stalls --various agents have told me that it was designed that (its really a pain and dissappointment):huh: does antone else have an answer to this problem????

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi all, i bought the new V40 D5 cross country and cant understand why the car always stalls --various agents have told me that it was designed that (its really a pain and dissappointment):huh: does antone else have an answer to this problem????
Hi, are you referring to the Stop-Start system?
If it's a 'problem' for you, there is a button at the bottom of the main console with the letter 'A' in a circular arrow that should be lit up - press that and it should go out and it'll stop stop-starting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx i have done that but when i staop it automatically reverts back to that start/stop button

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes it is designed to do that so it meets the emissions criteria. If you could permanently disable the stop/start facility the emissions would increase, and, in the UK, you could be in a higher tax bracket.:( I don't find it a problem, but it does take a few days to get used to it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll be honest, I was dubious of the stop/start feature initially, but any time where in any car you should put the handbrake on and drop out of gear is where the stop/start stops the engine anyway - if you drop out of gear when you're only stationery for a few seconds, you're probably safer to keep in gear with the clutch pedal down, so the stop/start does not get in the way unless you have unusual driving habits :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'll be honest, I was dubious of the stop/start feature initially, but any time where in any car you should put the handbrake on and drop out of gear is where the stop/start stops the engine anyway - if you drop out of gear when you're only stationery for a few seconds, you're probably safer to keep in gear with the clutch pedal down, so the stop/start does not get in the way unless you have unusual driving habits :)
Exactly how I use it (though i tend to just stay on the brake pedal rather than handbrake it most times) and it isn't an issue at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx for your constructive input. My car is an automatic and i drive in peak traffic and its very frustrating to have 30-40 stop/starts. Suppose i will have to get used to it but it just does not feel right.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If traffic is constantly stop/start then I'd have assumed you'd be in gear all of the time but the car re-starts so fast, even saving 10 seconds of idling will, over a few months, equate to quite a bit of fuel saved :)

I am fairly sure I read somewhere that on average, stop/start engines save 12 hours of idling every year but I'd have to try and find out where I read that!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Welcome. There is no V40 D5 in the SA market, only D3. All of them have the eco stop/start, and gets activated every time you switch on the car with the physical start stop engine button. You have to then switch it off on the button at the center console.

I sometimes switch mine off when I am in traffic and every 2 seconds you crawl forward.

Can't remember if you can switch it of permanently in the sensus my car menu

1 - 13 of 13 Posts