Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello V40 club!

Im pretty new to the volve-scene. Owning a 2014 V40 D4 since 4 weeks, with 155 th.km. on the clock, which i love! (see introduction page).

Im kind off a nitpicker, if it comes to vibrations. Reading all over the internet that the D4 is a very smooth diesel and is made to low-rev without problems. That its not a "typical diesel feel" So i found something:

when the engine is cold its a little shocky pulling away first times, no vibrations in low revs(under 2k), but thats fine after 5 mins or so when the engine gets to temperature.

In low revs the engine feels smooth(no tipical diesel vibrations) But when the engine gets hot after a 15/20 min drive the enginevibrations are getting realy feelable in the steering wheel, mainly in low revs. And the engine feels raw. But only when cruising or on throttle. When i let of throttle it feels very smooth and clean again.
Above 2k revs it is starting to feel better again. Vibrations a more noticible under 40mph(60kmh) in the steering wheel, also in the floor a bit, not to much in the seat. Under full load nothing weird. The car pulls fine and no stutter nor hesitations. In full load under 2 k u can realy feel te engine trough the steeringwheel.

Sometimes i get the idee when cruising 60mph on the highway the car feels between vibrate/smooth/vibrate etc.

Can an EGR software removal or ECU tune help getting rid of this?

Or this is normal behaviour of the D4?

Thanks, Joren

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have some vibrations too with my current D4. They weren't as pronounced with my previous D4's.
Don't think you can really diagnose this as it could have a 1000 different causes.
Most likely the flywheel or some engine part near or connected to the gearbox is slightly off balance.

And no, EGR or ECU modifications will not solve your problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It have the idea it has something to do with the de EGR closing/openenig. between RPMs getter more present and fading away again, but im not so sure at what RPM the EGR shuts/opens.

Also since we're talking, i have a slicht clunck when shifting, letting the clutch engange. Most noticible between gear 1/2/3.

Both problems could relate to dual mass flywheel than right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After driving for more than 600 miles now, i can be more specific. When the engine is cold its smooth AF, no vibration or whatsoever, but when it gets to temp its gets worse as i said. So the first few miles to the highway are good, but when its get to temperature its start to vibrate really annoying in the steering wheel as wel in the seats, BUT i found out its only between 1000 to 1500 rpm, above that its ''fine''.

I am testing myself trying to use as less fuel as possible, getting the most mpg out of the car, but its impossible driving lower than 1500 rpm, especially when in 4/5/6th gear even touching the throttle slightly. Really gets on my nerves.

maybe i can do some simple tests? disconnection EGR? no codes so far.
bought some forté fuel treatment just to try it out for the next refuel.

anyone some advice? thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally never drive the car below 1500 rpm. I will always downshift to keep it above 1500rpm. Under 1500rpm you are just lugging the diesel engine. Should be fine but it will never be super smooth I think. Also, lower RPMs aren't necessarily more economical. When the engine is cold you'll have the benefit of the oil being thicker. This will soften out some vibrations.

Maybe you can try a different viscosity.

The EGR should not have any impact on the cars behaviour in the lower rpm range. If you have an OBD adapter you can monitor the EGRs behaviour. Overall I think it's programmed to open up when you are on a constant cruising speed. From what I saw with my car the EGR is 70-80% opened up at 120km/h on cruise control.

If you are still not certain about it, you can try contact a dealership for diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dutch V40D4,are you using top quality fuel,I have tried both and I find that the more expensive diesel fuel has a marked affect on performance and smooth running.Try it as a test.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You know that with cold engine EGR is fully open, to quickly heat up the engine. So maybe it is indeed related.
Then on full throttly EGR should be closed (with warmed up enigne).

D4 is most happy with at least 1900 RPMs, 2500 is better even if you look at Torque/HP curve.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the imput guys. Just filled it up for the first time at the Shell. tank is almost empty so i can try some different stations to check which one has the best fuel! i have an OBD adapter, ill set it up and will try some readings to learn more about the cars behaviour. i will try going higher in RPM, I am used to a GTI with an DSG which will shift as soon as it hits 2100 RPM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some Forté diesel treatment and filled it up again, same vibrations but much more present in the steering wheel only, i know whats acceptable but this isnt. i red on This topic that some guy with a D2 had the same issues and went to the dealer, they did a 'injector adaption reset'' and the problem whas gone. maybe ill visit the dealer nest week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well hello again, after driving the car for over 2 months now, i find the vibritions in the lower rpms not as annoying as i thought, but i experienced something really weird yesterday, ill try to explain.

I was driving out of a underground parking garage, first gear going up the hill. At the end i had to stop for some traffic, car stil in a small angle.

When i tried to drive away i enganged the clutch to fast because hill assist held the car, so the car turned off of the lack of power, so i quickly pressed the clutchpedal and the car restarted itself. At that time the car started shaking like a madman, like it whas only running on 2 cilinders. I quickly turned the engine off by pressing the startbutton.

After a few seconds of realising what just happened i started the car again, this time the engine ran smooth again. When i pressed the clutch to engage first gear i went really soft but the clutch worked okay.

So drove the car home stil having the idea the clutchpedal felt really soft but in engaged good and does not slip.

Today i drove the car to work, stil feel like the clutch is really soft and a also have the idea that the car vibrates much more in lower rpms (1200-1700rpm), when driving 60mph in the 6th gear i feel the engine trough the steering wheel much more.

Did some full throttle pulls and the car feels not any slower, the clutch definitly is not slipping, still it doesnt feel right.
Also went under the hood, on idle ofcourse, the engine really vibrates in idle when i put my hands on top, which is normal for a diesel IMO. But it also has a rattling/ticking sound Coming from the right rear of the engine, right under the air inlet where the- i guess- turbo wastegate solenoid is(standing in front of the car with hood opened.

Anyone had this weird heavy start vibrations? Or something related.

Joren

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Joren,

Thats a weird situation. I've had something similar happen last year. I was in the backseat and my collegue was driving.
Somehow he managed to kill the engine with a wrong shift while we were still driving like 30km per hour.
The not sure what he did but enigine wanted to restart and the whole car was shaking like a madman.
Like it wanted to start but at the same time blocking something, did not sound healthy at all.
Then as soon as we came to a standstill the engine started like normal and had no issues whatsoever.
It's not exactly the same circumstances but the shaking seems the same. My guess is it is a rare fault condition of the start stop system.

Hope that helps.
Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that sound exactly like mine did!! Only difference is that after mine vibrated the car thinks is still has to do it a little bit al the time ;(

Its not possible to let the car roll or drive under 1500 rpm or it does feel weird. Even when there is no throttle input it does not feel normal. Driving trough town 30mph in 4th feels even weird :S

Tomorrow i wil check for codes with my own OBD scanner. After the weekend ill let it check at the dealer, only 20 days of buyerswarranty left so its maybe smart to let the dealer check the car too, update it and check if the EGR is the modified one.

Thanks

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did see a post on here about vibration on the new D4. It mentioned problems with a balance shaft or something failing on the bottom end of the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could be possible too, but i have the solution!!

Went to a volvo dealer, they did some readings with vida dice and unplugged a sensor on top of the manifold. The hole where the sensor whas plugged in and the sensor itself whas cloged up of carbon desposits. So the whole manifold!

2 codes showed up: P200A00 intake runner manifold performance error and P200977 voltage control unit manifold valve position error. 2 codes that didnt show on my own OBD reader(so yes the bluetooth ones suck)

This intake problem is what volvo newest recal is based on too, but they dont have any solution yet, so if i could pay € 700,- for a new manifold and sensor or wait till the solution is there from the volvo research regarding the D4 ECM/Intake problems.

So i called with Volvo main headquarters here in holland, and few calls later the volvo dealer called and admitted that this issue has something to do with bad ECM software, and volvo said to all dealers: if they didnt trust it, it would be replaced. So they replaced -with permission from the headquarters- the whole intakemanifold under full warranty !!

Also i did get a ECM software update after the replacement, which i don't find very noticible.
They also checked if the EGR valve operated fine. It did.

Car drives as it is new and is almost 100% Vibration free (it stil is a diesel after all) the lower rpm vibrations are all gone, so if i pull from 1100 rpm it feels good again.

I am very pleased Volvo helped me, admitted the issue and replaced the manifold!

So for anyone with the enginevibrations, if it feels the car is struggling, let your manifold be checked.

Thank you all

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great, nice move to get headquarters involved. Dealers always trying to skim you. Should be called stealers instead.
And thnx for reporting back. Mine still needs to be recalled, but whenever I get the chance will have a look at the manifold.

Happy cruising!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe it whas a little too soon to be 100% happy, now the ECM is adapted to all values the car starts shaking/vibrating more again. I would say the new manifold got rid of 70%.
Stil sometimes out of the blue its start vibrating a few seconds while cruising, than stops for 10 seconds to do this cycle all over again. So sometimes the car drives like heaven and all of a sudden its not so smooth as i expected it to be. When coming of the highway, going up to 3rd to pul away from a roundabout, it hessitates around 1500rpm to be smooth again like nothing happened. So maybe a sensor that is not happy in its current state. Maybe going back to volvo to have it checked again. Hopefully it can be done under warranty because a diagnose is stil 35 euro....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Might be the mass airflow sensor as well then, they can measure that with Vida, I've read that you can clean it with break disc cleaner by spraying it directly on the sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Today i tried cleaning the MAP sensor, have not yet tested how the cleaning performed that well today(drove a few km and maybe felt better, could be placebo) cleaned with brakecleaner. It is full of carbon deposit, it is very hard to clean but a new sensor is about 30 euro so thats worth trying, i have a few pics attached of the current state of the sensor.

Will buy some contactspray to clean the MAF sensor too tomorrow. So both MAP and MAF ar cleaned.

Maybe the MAPsensor is gone, but i heard somewhere that a MAP sensor outlives a car most of ths time.
The codes i got are related to the MAP sensor

Maybe better ways to clean up the carbon?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use contact cleaner to clean my turbo boost manifold sensor on my other vehicle with an Italian VM 2.5 engine.
I have also used carb cleaner in the past and got away with it.
Engine always runs so much better afterwards as all that crud distorts the data readings sent to the engine management unit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts