Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Best is to use injector cleaner... but I don't know if it is to aggressive for the sensor.
It is sometimes used to spray directly into the air intake while the engine is running to clean out the inlet manifold and inlet components that are hard to reach.
Be aware though, you engine will rev-up on injector cleaner, so don't spray to much at once! If you are planning to do this, make sure the engine is running at around 2000RPM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
today i tried cleaning the MAP sensor again, this time with more succes in the context of carbon buildup, its clean now. stil got the vibrations.
sometimes a get a little hiccup when letting off throttle, its a little one though. when cleaning the MAP sensor i used a toothpic to carefully remove the carbon on the sensor ''rods''. so maybe i fucked it up more by touching the rods, but the car didnt behave any different. so 1; its fucked, or 2: i didnt mess it up by removing the carbon on the measuring-rods.

@JohnieBraaf you still think this could be the MAP-sensor? i got the codes P200977 and P200A00 which both are related to the MAP, the stealer wanted to change it but i didnt like to pay 115 euro for a orriginal sesnor, a aftermarket one is 30 euro but i dont know if its save to use one of those unknown brand sensors.

its so strange thats sometimes the car feels so good but then a few second later the vibration starts again, so a guess is has something to do with the engine controle instead of a mechanical issue.
its not really noticible when you dont know but when u pay atttention is clearly a difference.

the carshop i bought it from did a oilchange, dealer stays it needs 0w-20 oil, but im not suprised the shop filled it up with 5w-30. that oil must be thicker so remove vibrations imo.

what connector or hose stops the EGR from opening? so i can unplug it to check if it has something to do with the EGR, even if it gives a check engine light i could still try a few kilometers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OK, hmm, not sure how to determine if it is 100% working or not. But the amount of soot on the sensor on the picture is shocking.
Makes me wonder about the rest of the inlet trajectory, like EGR and swirl flaps. Although those do not really explain irregularity.
But if you are still under warranty as you stated earlier I would definitely have them solve the error codes.
If not, I would start planning for a complete cleanup of the inlet trajectory, maybe start by taking out and cleaning the EGR.
When you have that loose you can spray a full bottle of injector cleaner (slowly) in the engine while running 2000 RPM.

And yeah, if you can spare the 30euro, I would try the replacement MAF. Hopefully, that already resolves the issue.

Ohyeah, whatever you do, don't run any other oil than 0w-20. Its almost as thin a water. Anything else will probably kill your turbos.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Since the intake is done, i can only check via the dealer who did it if the engine whas dirty itself, like swirlflaps etc. The egr cooler is already fixed at the first owner so i gues the EGR whas cleaned back then too.

I can ask the shop what oil they put in. Also can buy the sensor(OE is bosch) and bosch makes them too without the volvo logo for 30 euro.

Starting to feel the vibrations get more worse the more i drive it.

The vibrations got worse the first time the car whas shaking like a madman with the startstop/hill assist problem, also from then there is no clunck anymore when shifting. So maybe i should let the shop which the car came from check the engine mounts, because as far as i know, clunking/vibrations can both be related to bad engine mounts. And since the car whas shaking 5 seconds like crazy i can assume on of the mounts went bad.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
So quick update: inlet pressure sensor (MAPsensor) replaced today, overall i would say not a bad move, but not a solution. The shaking seems better but i still get this smooth engine > rough engine behaviour, i bought injectioncleaner which i will poor in today.

I can really feel/hear the engine going trough the transition cycle of being rough to a smooth one. Ist just a rough growl mixed with vibrations. Must be some sensor right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
A malfunctioning EGR may do that. Recycling exhaust gas when it shouldn't.
but at the dealer they mentioned that the EGR closed properly and i should be fine, cooler is already done a year ago.

today i cleaned out the MAF and the inlet, i found some oil in the inlet so i assume that the PCV is not 100% as well

The car seems to run better after 100 km/60 miles now.

Today i found out that when it runs rough in the low rpm that a small hiccup occurs (very low throttle or cruising), after the small hiccup the engine is smooth and slowly becomes rough again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Simple update:

When revving the D4 and not moving, at 1400 rpm the same vibrations are feelable, under full load there is no vibration so i would not assume it has something to do with engine mounts, although i guess they are not 100% anymore.

I had the car checked by the same shop i bought it from, no codes showed up after the intake and sensor replaced.

They have "a guy" who does a lot of software, since no codes appeared in the ecu they think it has something to do with the software and this "guy" will in a few weeks check everything.
He will try to get rid of the rough/smooth/rough running of the engine at lower RPM.

Maybe i take the EGR appart myself, to check return to intake and the EGR itself.

Injector cleaner threatment shot again mixed with the fuel.

See where this takes us coming weeks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hope you get it resolved at last. It seems pretty hard to diagnose. BTW, do you have a DICE? Might be a good investment (60 euro). It allows you to do more analysis yourself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hope you get it resolved at last. It seems pretty hard to diagnose. BTW, do you have a DICE? Might be a good investment (60 euro). It allows you to do more analysis yourself.
Couldnt find any for that money, do you have a site or something? I have a chromebook so a laptop is no issue.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have installed the Vbox image. When entering my VIN, it is not recognized: VIN cannot be decoded.
I want to be sure if I can use this on my car, before ordering the DICE unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
No, its only till beginning of 2015. Sorry did not realize that. Dice might still work, but finding your VIN will not indeed

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well again a small update,
Found some gunk in de EGR-return line, this aluminium tube comes from the EGR and ends just above the throttlebody on the front of the engine, picture's before and after below, the tube itself whas not clogged up.
EGR moved very smooth, operated it via the controller-arm on the botom of the solenoid.

Engine got smoother a little bit after getting everything back together.

Today suddenly the engine(vibration) whas not sensible in the steering wheel, not on idle and when driving a little bit but it felt so good!

Plugged in my OBD reader with the engine stil on, and there whas percentage of ZERO EGR reading, also the injectors appeared to make a high pitch noise. Drove around, stil zero EGR... a blessing to drive! Soooo it seemed the engine managment kept the EGR closed?! (it has a 2019 update).

Stil on idle still a high pitch injector noise, on throttle not noticible. Stil vibration free.

So turned of the car, to fire it up again, and gues what? The EGR instant got a reading and started to adjust( % reading), the idle vibrations came back and high pitch noise what appeared to be the injectors whas gone.

I have no clue what just happened.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts