Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've just taken ownership of a 2015 T5 R Design, having researched for weeks and weeks about them. It was only on the day of paying for the car that I had stumbled across oil consumption issues with Volvo engines..

Google doesn't seem to pull up much for the V40 though, only diesel engines. So I'm just wondering is the B4204t11 in the V40 affected by these potential problems?

My engine serial under the top cover is 1159322, which seems to match what the TJ says, but the TJ only seems to refer to V60's, XC90's, etc

Thank heaps

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there,
I've just taken ownership of a 2015 T5 R Design, having researched for weeks and weeks about them. It was only on the day of paying for the car that I had stumbled across oil consumption issues with Volvo engines..

Google doesn't seem to pull up much for the V40 though, only diesel engines. So I'm just wondering is the B4204t11 in the V40 affected by these potential problems?

My engine serial under the top cover is 1159322, which seems to match what the TJ says, but the TJ only seems to refer to V60's, XC90's, etc

Thank heaps
According to the official Volvo Journal it is : "From engine serial number: 1501327, engines have been modified from engine factory" .

But it doesn't manifest in all models, and it's not catastrophic failure. You would just need to refill the oil quite often.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The reason for that is because the only version of the TJ "we can see is the one issued for Volvo N. America, which US legislation requires to be available to the consumer, unlike her. And the V40 wasn't sold in N. America.

You will notice that the TJ only refers to petrol engine type numbers, including the T11. Very fewif any diesel VEA engines were sold in N. America, which is primarily a petrol engine market for ICE cars and light rucks.

Even if your car falls within the affected engine numbers, if it isn't using a noticeable quantity of oil 7 years later, it either hasn't and is unlikely now to suffer the problem or it has already been fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for that is because the only version of the TJ "we can see is the one issued for Volvo N. America, which US legislation requires to be available to the consumer, unlike her. And the V40 wasn't sold in N. America.

You will notice that the TJ only refers to petrol engine type numbers, including the T11. Very fewif any diesel VEA engines were sold in N. America, which is primarily a petrol engine market for ICE cars and light rucks.

Even if your car falls within the affected engine numbers, if it isn't using a noticeable quantity of oil 7 years later, it either hasn't and is unlikely now to suffer the problem or it has already been fixed.
Ah OK I didn't realise that, but certainly makes sense
In terms of the vehicle, it's done 62,000kms, so not a huge amount of mileage in that time. But you're right in that it should have manifested by now. Is there any kind of telltale that the work may have been carried out? I'd assume not as it's not a recall or anything like that.

I'll just give it the good oil every 5000km and run it on 98 petrol and see what happens.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Ah OK I didn't realise that, but certainly makes sense
In terms of the vehicle, it's done 62,000kms, so not a huge amount of mileage in that time. But you're right in that it should have manifested by now. Is there any kind of telltale that the work may have been carried out? I'd assume not as it's not a recall or anything like that.
If any work was done by a Volvo dealer, it should be recorded against the vehicle. You would have to ask a dealer to check the history though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts