Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken my 2015 V40 D2 (40,000 miles) in for it’s third safety recall on the engine. The main dealer did a ‘Health check’ and discovered that both front springs were broken. I do not run up or down kerbs and take it gently over speed bumps. I’m guessing the collective wear and tear of even going cautiously over speed bumps at the likes of Asda and Tesco’s takes it’s toll. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
320 Posts
hi, sadly its a trait of many if not all modern vehicles... Poorly maintained roads, traffic calming, cost cutting on materials, design and demands to save weight all contribute to regular spring replacement. My V40 has been ok so far, but ive replaced springs on a 20k mile insignia... luckily (if considered to be so) the suspension is simple to work on as its Ford based :unsure:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Also the V40 is quite a heavy car, and eats tyres really quickly (even rears!) compared to other cars in the same class, I guess it also eats suspension too, and diesel engines are generally heavier than their petrol counterparts.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Also the V40 is quite a heavy car, and eats tyres really quickly (even rears!) compared to other cars in the same class, I guess it also eats suspension too, and diesel engines are generally heavier than their petrol counterparts.
I've get 4 years at least out of my D2 V40 tyres.

·
Registered
V40 D2 2015 Ocean Race
1 Posts
Hi! Which could be the impact of 18" rims on suspension and springs, compared to 16" rims?
Considering that the 18" wheels makes the suspension feel more rigid I think that they contribute to the breaking of the springs. I will have to change the springs on my V40 front axle next week and I have to say that I was not expecting to be such an expensive repair considering my previous experience with VAG group.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts