Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

First time poster here!

I have a 2015 V40 D2 as a company car and over the past year have racked up around 38,000 miles.

Around two months ago the clutch pedal began sticking when changing gear. It would allow for the gear change to take place but there would only be around 3-4cm of clutch travel. In order to get the clutch to return to the normal position I had to do this with my foot.

I had my local dealer look at it (annoyingly it resolved itself before going in) and despite stripping it down they could find no problem.

Fast forward to the past few weeks and the issues has started again, becoming more common and at times not allowing a gear to be selected.

Video of the problem;

Thankfully the car is booked in for a service this Friday so hopefully it can be looked at again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi There,

First time poster here!

I have a 2015 V40 D2 as a company car and over the past year have racked up around 38,000 miles.

Around two months ago the clutch pedal began sticking when changing gear. It would allow for the gear change to take place but there would only be around 3-4cm of clutch travel. In order to get the clutch to return to the normal position I had to do this with my foot.

I had my local dealer look at it (annoyingly it resolved itself before going in) and despite stripping it down they could find no problem.

Fast forward to the past few weeks and the issues has started again, becoming more common and at times not allowing a gear to be selected.

Hi, welcome to the forum. It's a pity your first post isn't under better circumstances...

I haven't had this problem with my V40, but I did experience a similar problem in my previous car (a 2012 Mk3 Ford Focus, which shares many components with the V40 under the skin). In my case the clutch slave cylinder failed with no prior warning, which was a not uncommon fault on the 1.6 TDCI Mk3 Focus (and required the gearbox to be removed to replace the slave cylinder and clutch).

The problem you have with the pedal sticking at the bottom of it's stroke was also a known fault on the 2010-2012 1.6 TDCI Mk3 Focus, and Ford issued a TSB to replace the master cylinder and return spring - see this thread on Honest John's forums:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95392

I suspect you will be getting a new clutch master cylinder/pedal assembly fitted on Friday if you show them that video. If that doesn't' solve it, it's probably the slave cylinder (which they won't do unless they have to as getting the gearbox out to replace it is a lot more work).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. It's a pity your first post isn't under better circumstances...

I haven't had this problem with my V40, but I did experience a similar problem in my previous car (a 2012 Mk3 Ford Focus, which shares many components with the V40 under the skin). In my case the clutch slave cylinder failed with no prior warning, which was a not uncommon fault on the 1.6 TDCI Mk3 Focus (and required the gearbox to be removed to replace the slave cylinder and clutch).

The problem you have with the pedal sticking at the bottom of it's stroke was also a known fault on the 2010-2012 1.6 TDCI Mk3 Focus, and Ford issued a TSB to replace the master cylinder and return spring - see this thread on Honest John's forums:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95392

I suspect you will be getting a new clutch master cylinder/pedal assembly fitted on Friday if you show them that video. If that doesn't' solve it, it's probably the slave cylinder (which they won't do unless they have to as getting the gearbox out to replace it is a lot more work).
1.6 tdci same as the d2? before the vea change

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the reply Buzby.

I had come across the issue with Ford on Google and thought it may have been related. I will see what the garage say tomorrow.

Other than the issue above it has been a pretty good ownership experience so far!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

First time poster here too, unfortunately with the same problem! Did you have any luck with getting your clutch issue resolved?

I'm really frustrated / disappointed with my dealer after today's visit to the workshop.

I've a 2014 V40 D2 with just under 54k miles on the clock. I took the car for its 50k scheduled service at the end of May, then a couple of days later drove the car for a holiday in the South of France. The same problem you describe with your clutch occured on both long journeys there and back, but strangely there wasn't any issues on shorter journeys whilst there. Now back at home, my daily 50 mile round trip hasn't been an issue either, however, I booked the car straight in to have the fault investigated.

I collected the car this afternoon to be told by the dealer "we've driven the car 20-30 miles and the fault didn't occur, there's nothing we can really do if we don't see the fault. Volvo are really strict on this, a claim can't be made on the warranty unless the problem is evident". "

They went on to say "If it happens again, call Volvo assistance, they will tow it back here, then we can investigate it further"

I raised my concerns about the warranty ending in just 6k miles, if I've reported the issue now, surely it would be covered? They said "Volvo are really strict on this (again!), if you've gone over 60k miles there's not anything we can do to help, if its the master cylinder, you're probably looking at a few thousand pounds"

All I can think do to now is plan a long journey and hope it happens again! Not a good situation to be in, but would welcome any advice on the matter.

Cheers, Andy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

1st post. So hello to you all. I think I can help here.

I have a 6 month old V40 D3 as my company car, on full maintenance lease. Its done 15500 miles.

I too have experienced the clutch pedal not returning just last week on a long run returning home from Devon. I live near Oxford but work for a company based in Devon so I do the trip almost weekly.

The first time it happened I had been non-stop Okehampton to Leigh Delamere services at motorway speeds. No problem until i pull into the services and change down. I stopped, lifted the pedal with my foot and gave it a few pumps. That seemed to fix it but the action still felt soft. Carried on and got home without further issue.

Over the next week, on local roads, the soft feeling action got much better. I still notified fleet who booked it into local Volvo dealer for a check - that happened today.

Until yesterday the problem had not recurred and I was a bit anxious I would be dismissed by the garage if they couldnt replicate the fault. But yesterday I had to go to Devon and back. So I set off with the intent to go as far as possible without touching the clutch pedal. Got to Taunton Deane services, pulled in and the clutch pedal stayed down. Parked up, then took a picture, lifted and pumped pedal and carried on. Did the same on the return with exactly the same effect.

Gave the dealer copies of pics and explained how a sustained high speed run with minimal clutch input was required to replicate fault. I would recommend at least 1 hour continuous driving is required. The fault was replicated by the dealer and although I havent been told exactly what is wrong it was described to me as "serious" and "the gearbox will have to be removed". Hoping to find out more tomorrow.

Figure this is likely a leaky/failing slave cylinder.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi
The fault was replicated by the dealer and although I havent been told exactly what is wrong it was described to me as "serious" and "the gearbox will have to be removed". Hoping to find out more tomorrow.

Figure this is likely a leaky/failing slave cylinder.
Yes, sounds like what had to be done with my Focus I'm afraid (it seems there's 2 failure modes - either the slave cylinder starts leaking and sticking, or it fails catastrophically like mine did). I was without a car for 2 weeks as there was a shortage of slave cylinders. It's been a big problem for Ford which they have been doing their best to keep quiet, though it did make it onto the BBC's 'Don't Get Done, Get Dom' last year:
http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/71097-mk3-focus-clutch-failure-on-bbc/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't go to Devon....
Well I do get paid to do it...

But on the car. I still haven't been told exactly what the problem was but it is getting fixed under warranty. Parts are on back order so I will have to wait til the end of next week to get the car back.

So anyone who thinks they have a similar issue or are having difficulty getting the fault replicated make sure you get the garage to do a long test drive with minimal clutch use to replicate the fault. Possibly worth monitoring fluid level in clutch / brake reservoir.

I'm trying to think what is happening to cause a loss of hydraulic / clutch pressure while driving a longish distance that doesnt occur on shorter trips. Can only think clutch/brake fluid is getting used/is leaking out and regular use of clutch pedal tops up fluid from the reservoir - but since clutch and brakes share the same reservoir at some point it'll run low and then no clutch OR brakes potentially?!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Well I do get paid to do it...

But on the car. I still haven't been told exactly what the problem was but it is getting fixed under warranty. Parts are on back order so I will have to wait til the end of next week to get the car back.
Ford never told me what had failed on mine or what had been replaced - I just got handed the car back and asked to sign the jobsheet (which I didn't get a copy of). I'd already worked out it was the concentric slave cylinder/release bearing though (it was the only thing it could be, and brake fluid was leaking out of the bellhousing onto the road after it went).

I'm trying to think what is happening to cause a loss of hydraulic / clutch pressure while driving a longish distance that doesnt occur on shorter trips. Can only think clutch/brake fluid is getting used/is leaking out and regular use of clutch pedal tops up fluid from the reservoir - but since clutch and brakes share the same reservoir at some point it'll run low and then no clutch OR brakes potentially?!
That's pretty much it - the Focus owners who have had the same issue as you have also needed the clutch (and in some instances the DMF assembly) replacing due to brake fluid contamination. On the brakes, the ABS system has it's own accumulator that's holds a quantity of low-pressure fluid. It's only if the ABS is activated (or you have a leak) that the ABS pump will cycle the fluid through the reservoir.

The previous generation Mk2 Focus had problems with leaking brake master cylinders (which at least are slightly easier to replace).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi There,

First time poster here!

Video of the problem;

Thankfully the car is booked in for a service this Friday so hopefully it can be looked at again.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
I have a Feb 2015 (less than one year old) Volvo V40 2 Litre T3 R Design vehicle and like others on this string have had significant problems with the clutch sticking. I drove a round trip this past weekend of approximately 1200 km and on the return journey the clutch progressively got worse after driving for sometime without changing gear. The indications have been described above (It would allow for the gear change to take place but there would only be around 3-4cm of clutch travel. In order to get the clutch to return to the normal position I had to do this with my foot). I have taken the car to my local garage in the Netherlands and they have identified that the clutch master cylinder and return spring will need to be replaced. Unfortunately they cannot do the work until 23 January 2017 (Some 4.5 Weeks after reporting the fault).. The garage also pointed out that Volvo have since changed the design of the Clutch Master Cylinder making it out of metal rather than the cheaper/lighter materiel that my car was delivered with. I am a little disappointed that Volvo have not recalled all V40 with such components and had them changed as default. Although I think I may be able to cope with local driving for the 4 weeks, I am not confident to drive the vehicle for longer motorway driving as the clutch will stick as described above.

I think this has safety implications and drivers should be warned of the dangers associated with such problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Recently started with the same problem but not under warranty anymore.

Does anyone have a ball park figure for getting this fixed and could it be something else rather than a whole new master cylinder

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a Feb 2015 (less than one year old) Volvo V40 2 Litre T3 R Design vehicle and like others on this string have had significant problems with the clutch sticking. I drove a round trip this past weekend of approximately 1200 km and on the return journey the clutch progressively got worse after driving for sometime without changing gear. The indications have been described above (It would allow for the gear change to take place but there would only be around 3-4cm of clutch travel. In order to get the clutch to return to the normal position I had to do this with my foot). I have taken the car to my local garage in the Netherlands and they have identified that the clutch master cylinder and return spring will need to be replaced. Unfortunately they cannot do the work until 23 January 2017 (Some 4.5 Weeks after reporting the fault).. The garage also pointed out that Volvo have since changed the design of the Clutch Master Cylinder making it out of metal rather than the cheaper/lighter materiel that my car was delivered with. I am a little disappointed that Volvo have not recalled all V40 with such components and had them changed as default. Although I think I may be able to cope with local driving for the 4 weeks, I am not confident to drive the vehicle for longer motorway driving as the clutch will stick as described above.

I think this has safety implications and drivers should be warned of the dangers associated with such problems.
Unfortunately it's almost certainly not the master cylinder that's the root cause - they replace the master cylinder nad it a stronger return spring because it's cheaper to do under warranty.

The root cause is almost certainly the combined slave cylinder/clutch release bearing on the gearbox input shaft sticking. The standard return spring is not strong enough to unstick it (it wasn't designed to cope with the slave cylinder sticking) so Ford modified the pedal box design to fit a stronger spring and issued a TSB to fit the parts under warranty if a customer complained of a sticking pedal (they never issued a recall either).

The new master cylinder assembly acts as a 'sticking plaster' by having enough force to overcome the sticking slave cylinder, but in most cases it's not a permanent fix and as time goes by the slave cylinder will deteriorate further and the pedal starts to stick again . All this time the slave cylinder has potentially been leaking hydraulic fluid into the bellhousing too, contaminating the clutch plate and DMF (be very wary of any groaning noises when the clutch engages, as that's a sign it's been contaminated and is slipping). This is a well-known problem on the Mk3 Focus which Volvo took the V40's pedal box and clutch hydraulic system from.

Both Ford and Volvo dealers will only change the slave cylinder as a last resort as it requires the gearbox to be removed. Getting authorisation for that level of work from Ford or Volvo UK is a massive headache for the dealer (and it can take days to get the parts delivered, potentially meaning the customer has to have a courtesy car which is means expense) so they are loathe to do it, and would rather deal with it on the quiet instead of admitting it and issuing a recall notice

See this recent thread for another member's experience with a dealer on this issue:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/15-engine-technical/25194-d2-noisy-clutch.html#post222217

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hi

Recently started with the same problem but not under warranty anymore.

Does anyone have a ball park figure for getting this fixed and could it be something else rather than a whole new master cylinder
Replacing a master cylinder is probably at least £300. A slave cylinder, clutch and DMF replacement is probably going to be around £1k. I would certainly be approaching Volvo UK for at least a part contribution to the cost though, as it's defective parts/design rather than wear and tear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Paranoid about clutch slave cylinder problems!

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2015 V40 CC D2 1.6 and had come across the threads regarding the clutch problems and have become a bit paranoid about it happening to mine. The questions I have are as follows:

Is it a matter of when not if it will happen or is it only a percentage of them that fail?

Is there anything I can do to minimise it happening ( e.g. regular fluid changes )?

Does anyone want to buy a 2015 V40 CC D2 ?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry to drag up an old thread, however, having just clicked over 77K miles the clutch pedal in my car has started to show signs of the same problem.

The car was just serviced last Friday and I asked them to look at this but they reported back that everything looked fine.

I have therefore had to book it in again to get it looked at.

With the car now being out of warranty it will probably result in a large bill.

As this fault happening twice within a relatively short time scale should I be asking and what are the chances of Volvo covering the repair costs?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread, however, having just clicked over 77K miles the clutch pedal in my car has started to show signs of the same problem.

The car was just serviced last Friday and I asked them to look at this but they reported back that everything looked fine.

I have therefore had to book it in again to get it looked at.

With the car now being out of warranty it will probably result in a large bill.

As this fault happening twice within a relatively short time scale should I be asking and what are the chances of Volvo covering the repair costs?
Did you just get the master cylinder/pedal assembly replaced last time or the slave cylinder and clutch? If it was only the master cylinder/pedal assembly the chances are it's the slave cylinder this time (I think the revised pedal assembly had a stronger return spring to try and compensate for the sticking/leaking slave cylinders). As it's had work done for the same fault before if the dealer doesn't offer to contribute I'd certainly contact Volvo UK for at least a partial contribution to the repair cost, especially if it's the slave cylinder that needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Buzby,

Not sure which part was replaced last time round and as it was under warranty I did not receive a job sheet.

Car is booked in for the 20/06 (first available date they had with a courtesy car) so I will be asking them to look back and check.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2016 V40 d2 is on its third clutch pedal assembly in 19500 miles. I think this car likes the attention st the dealers as it seems to like it there more than the open road. I think I got a duff model this time. My 2014 v40 had no problems in 50000 miles.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts