Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Cross Country T5 AWD
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone having problems with the dreaded interior mirror glass coming un stuck on the manual dimming type or wants to upgrade to an auto dimming one & have discovered that you can't upgrade via Volvo, then this is worth considering. I was gutted when I purchased my V40 CC last year that the previous owner hadn't upgraded the mirror to the factory auto dimming & the glass had previously been glued back on, as my previous 3 cars had had it fitted & I was missing it. I tried fitting a factory mirror found on ebay which didn't work, even when I fitted a homemade loom to wire it directly to a accessory fuse behind the glove box. The loom did work as I tried it on old Ford mirror that I knew worked. I then found this on Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32315331108

You just need to ask for special bracket #65 suitable for the V40. Dead easy to fit, just 2 wires, 1 earth & a fused power lead that I hooked up to the glovebox fusebox & switches on & off with ignition or with its own switch if you wish.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know. I emailed them to check which bracket I needed along with pictures of the original Volvo bracket & they confirmed bracket 65 was the correct one (although it’s not listed). They just told me to ask for 65 in the order / comments section when placing the order along with the vehicle it was being fitted to. Thanks for amending the AliExpress link.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah, I know. I emailed them to check which bracket I needed along with pictures of the original Volvo bracket & they confirmed bracket 65 was the correct one (although it’s not listed). They just told me to ask for 65 in the order / comments section when placing the order along with the vehicle it was being fitted to. Thanks for amending the AliExpress link.
That's great to know, many thanks.
Will probably order. I really miss my old V60 dimming mirror.
Even though I do love the style and shape of the V40 one.

I have also tried an official dimming V40 mirror, but it requires software enabling on the car to work which Volvo charge over £250 for, if you can find one who can understand the options.

Thanks again, and I'm loving the beagle.. I really want one!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Auto-dimming mirrors can be fairly simple and self-contained, I've installed a few, including on a Ford Focus (downmarket V40).
Manufacturers ones tend to be clever with control circuits for illumination on and reversing engaged, but they're really not necessary.
There can also be links in for dimming outside mirrors (my non-Volvo has those) and there it's difficult to get away from an OEM setup if you have/want that.
My V40 has neither because it has factory rear tints and it's just not necessary. External dimming mirrors I don't find useful anyway even though my other car has them!

For a functional dimming internal mirror you normally just need +12v and earth/ground. The mirrors typically have sensors in them to detect external light level (facing forwards) and headlights behind (facing back), that's all you need. IIRC the Ford one I fitted also had an on-off button which I rarely used as it did what I wanted by default.
In fact I think in the Focus I just took +12v from the sidelights circuit, that was easy and worked well.

Reactions: Finnbeagle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great to know, many thanks.
Will probably order. I really miss my old V60 dimming mirror.
Even though I do love the style and shape of the V40 one.

I have also tried an official dimming V40 mirror, but it requires software enabling on the car to work which Volvo charge over £250 for, if you can find one who can understand the options.

Thanks again, and I'm loving the beagle.. I really want one!
Best of luck. I'm on my 4th Beagle & each one has been different. This fool is currently recovering from cruciate ligament surgery, so no walks for us at the moment.
Leg Vertebrate Comfort Textile Dog

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Auto-dimming mirrors can be fairly simple and self-contained, I've installed a few, including on a Ford Focus (downmarket V40).
Manufacturers ones tend to be clever with control circuits for illumination on and reversing engaged, but they're really not necessary.
There can also be links in for dimming outside mirrors (my non-Volvo has those) and there it's difficult to get away from an OEM setup if you have/want that.
My V40 has neither because it has factory rear tints and it's just not necessary. External dimming mirrors I don't find useful anyway even though my other car has them!

For a functional dimming internal mirror you normally just need +12v and earth/ground. The mirrors typically have sensors in them to detect external light level (facing forwards) and headlights behind (facing back), that's all you need. IIRC the Ford one I fitted also had an on-off button which I rarely used as it did what I wanted by default.
In fact I think in the Focus I just took +12v from the sidelights circuit, that was easy and worked well.
I don't know why the manufacture's have to make some things so awkward to retrofit. To be fair, Volvo offer a fair bit that can be retrofitted with a fair bit or work involved, but I dont get why the mirror is not offered, especially when the wiring is already in place. As you say, they are dead easy to fit, just 2 wires, 1 earth & 1 +12v & jobs a good un. Once you've had certain options on cars you never want to go downgrade in spec, at least I don't if at all possible.:)

·
Registered
321 Posts
VDash can program the autodimming mirror. The "software download" is actually a single byte change to the CEM master file that tells the car what equipment it is fitted with. The routines to operate the mirror are already in the CEM and just need enabling by the byte change "switch", the same as cruise control and several other options.

BUT, I reckon about 99% of "genuine" Volvo autodimming mirrors for sale on auction sites are Chinese fakes, and can't be enabled because the car throws up a fault code for communication with CEM not as expected or similar, so I'd only recommend sourcing a genuine mirror by VIN of your car from a Volvo dealer if you want the "original" version.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't know why the manufacture's have to make some things so awkward to retrofit. To be fair, Volvo offer a fair bit that can be retrofitted with a fair bit or work involved, but I dont get why the mirror is not offered, especially when the wiring is already in place. As you say, they are dead easy to fit, just 2 wires, 1 earth & 1 +12v & jobs a good un. Once you've had certain options on cars you never want to go downgrade in spec, at least I don't if at all possible.:)
We must have both posted at the same time, but the auto-dimming mirror wiring already in place in the car has three connections. Volvo mirrors communicate with and are controlled by the CEM, not just a two pole power feed. Not that it stops anyone fitting an afermarket mirror like the one above though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
VDash can program the autodimming mirror. The "software download" is actually a single byte change to the CEM master file that tells the car what equipment it is fitted with. The routines to operate the mirror are already in the CEM and just need enabling by the byte change "switch", the same as cruise control and several other options.

BUT, I reckon about 99% of "genuine" Volvo autodimming mirrors for sale on auction sites are Chinese fakes, and can't be enabled because the car throws up a fault code for communication with CEM not as expected or similar, so I'd only recommend sourcing a genuine mirror by VIN of your car from a Volvo dealer if you want the "original" version.

Yeah I've looked at that via vdash, but don't they want about £100 for the privilege?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah I've looked at that via vdash, but don't they want about £100 for the privilege?
Their prices seem to fluctuate, and access to some programming functions, and prices, seems to depend on the subscription levels they introduced more recently.

But according to their pricelist, it should come under "unlisted CEM configuration items" which are 49 euros inc VAT.

Whatever their prices, they are normally set to be cheaper than a Volvo dealer would charge for the same programming (where it relates to something that a Volvo dealer can also do).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts