Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Our 2017 R Design D2 radio has started playing up. When you start your journey the radio works fine but within 5-10 minutes the reception starts cutting out until its full static. Switching to bluetooth works fine so I don't think its on the speaker/output side. It does this every journey so I don't think its interference, more likely a component in the radio or antenna booster failing as it warms up.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anyone with the same symptoms. On previous vehicles I've had a Clarion unit declared beyond repair by the manufacturer (speaker/amp electronics I think) and our Honda headunit had a similar issue before going blank, and that took Honda several weeks to repair during which time we had to suffer without the main display!

So I'd like to sort this out myself, I'm hoping others have had similar and know what needs threatening with a soldering iron?!

· Super Moderator
767 Posts
Do you have the same issue with DAB?

· Super Moderator
767 Posts
I'd maybe guess at something around the aerial connection (possibly loose or perhaps a damaged element)
How you would go about fixing it is beyond me though.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi all

Our 2017 R Design D2 radio has started playing up. When you start your journey the radio works fine but within 5-10 minutes the reception starts cutting out until its full static. Switching to bluetooth works fine so I don't think its on the speaker/output side. It does this every journey so I don't think its interference, more likely a component in the radio or antenna booster failing as it warms up.

I searched the forum but couldn't find anyone with the same symptoms. On previous vehicles I've had a Clarion unit declared beyond repair by the manufacturer (speaker/amp electronics I think) and our Honda headunit had a similar issue before going blank, and that took Honda several weeks to repair during which time we had to suffer without the main display!

So I'd like to sort this out myself, I'm hoping others have had similar and know what needs threatening with a soldering iron?!
Try unplugging any plug-in phone chargers/sat-nav/dash-cam power supplies to see if they are the cause of the interference. The interference from a phone charger in particular can change over time as the phone charges up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts