Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am not a tire expert so I hope you can help me on this one.

I have a V40 Cross Country with Mefitis 7.5 x 18" wheels. The tires are 225/45 R18 as pictured here:

[/IMG]

It seems like the CC version of the V40 comes with these tires while the non CC version comes with 225/40R18 tires.

I was thinking on getting Midir 7.5J x 18" wheels which I'm hoping, by the way, that they look good.

I placed an order for these wheels to the dealer, but they said the wheels could only fit 225/40R18 tires and not the 225/45R18 tires, so I didn't get them.

I found another company that sells specifically Volvo wheels, and they claim that these same wheels can fit 225/45R18 tires as well.

My question is, who should I believe and why? Why can a wheel fit 225/40 but not 225/45's? :-/

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Are the wheels & tyres on your car as supplied OEM?

225 x 45 x 18 is not same as mine and I doubt CC would have different gearing to non CC so I'm wondering if yours are right size?

225 x 45 x 18 = 659.7mm dia in laymans terms

225 x 45 x 17 = 634.5mm dia

So gearing and speedo would need to be different

Correct ratio for an 18" would surely be 40 at same width I.e.

225 x 40 x 18 = 637.2mm dia

So either tyre would fit on the rim it's just you would have two different OD's

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just configured a new CC on Volvo website and the do have larger OD than std as you state, so from what you stare the dealer has got it wrong as they clearly talking Std and not CC size

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is the same case in the Australian market. I noticed some time ago when I was looking at the standard V40 vs V40 CC that they had different size tyres (as in OD). I enquired about this at the time with my local dealer who - after some checking of their own - confirmed the different tyre sizes and that the CC's speedo and odometer where calibrated accordingly. This was explained as being part of the CC package with the higher profile tyre giving that softer ride compared with the standard V40.

So the 225/40-18 is for the V40 and the 225/45-18 is for the V40 CC. Can you still put the larger profile tyres on? I would say yes but you might have clearance issues with the 22.5mm increase in tyre OD (remembering the body of the V40 CC sits 40mm higher than the standard V40). Also of course your speedo would read 3.4% low. And at least here in Australia the fitment would be illegal because the tyre OD varies by more than the allowable +/-15mm from OEM size.

Tony

Sorry : re-reading OP I realise you have the CC and are looking at going to the lower profile tyre. So basically the reverse of what I said except you should have no issues with clearance on the smaller OD tyre. And your speedo will read 3.5% high. Still would be illegal in most Australian states where the allowable various is +/-15mm (in Queensland is +15/-26mm so actually would be OK). Just suggesting you check your local laws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Unless there is a typo in your first post, the wheels you are buying are the same size as the ones you already have. So the correct tyre should be the same size. It will fit on the rim no issue. The only question is the offset of the new wheel - If it is the same (or close), there should be no issue at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On a side note, the Midir look excellent and have been one of Volvos sexiest wheel for many years now. I couldn't get them factory fitted when placing the order for my RDesign, so I went with the standard 17" ixion rims (now my winter wheels) and got the Midir separatly. I can imagine that they will go very nicely with your CC!

You can easily put 225/45 R18 on the Midir, the only question is if this is approved by the vehicle code in your country. In Germany, everything ist closely monitored and we need technical examinations and approvals for everything that the manufacturer has not approved beforehand. In the wheel/tire specification document from Volvo, the Midir are only rated for 225/40 R18 and not available for the CC at all.

I don't think a cop would notice but its definatly worth checking what your insurance would say to you rolling on an unnapproved set of wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everybody for your comments. It is true that when you look at the Volvo approved wheels, most of them are only compatible with the 225/40 R18 tires, but only the Mefitis wheels are compatible with the 225/45 R18. I really don't know why there are no more R18 wheel options for the CC.

So based on your comments it seems like it would be ok to fit the 225/45 R18 tires on the Midir wheels. But considering I'm living in Switzerland and they can be quite picky with everything, that probably explains why the dealer wouldn't want to sell me the Midir wheels. They probably decided based on Volvo's specifications, which state that the Midir wheels are only compatible with 225/40 R18 tires.

So the Midir wheels look really nice, but I'm afraid I'll have to forget about them to avoid getting into insurance issues or anything else. :s :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.