Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed on a couple of threads that it is possible to upgrade the brakes from 278mm to 300mm. I'm due to buy new pads and discs soon for the front and seeing as I spend most my time on the motorway it seemed like a good opportunity to do fit the bigger brakes.

I know I only need the carrier but it seems difficult to purchase just the carrier on it's own.

I've looked on Ebay and I can get a caliper with the carrier for around £25 to £30 each.

Is it the brakes from a MK2/MK2.5 Focus that I need? Also, as it seems easier to source a complete caliper and carrier, could I simply swap the whole lot over (My current calipers are in poor condition so was thinking of refurbing the new ones)?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Cheers Peanut. Here's the link to my specific post:
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/12-wheels-tires-suspension/24673-brake-disc-pad-replacement-4.html#post276097

I was able to source the caliper carriers from sweden, though they did need refurbing before I put them on. With the delivery costs it did work out slightly cheaper than buying calipers and carriers from the UK. I am not 100% sure the Mk2.5 Focus/C-Max parts are the same - they look similar, bu I don't know if the disc offset is the same.

As for fitting a used set of calipers as well as the carriers, (and probably ones that have been in a crash) I wouldn't do it personally unless you are going to fully strip, flush and recondition (new seals and dustcovers) them first. You then have the hassle of disconnecting a possibly seized hose union into your existing caliper and then bleeding the brakes afterwards. The whole point of doing the 300mm upgrade is that it's easy because only the carriers need to be changed. If your calipers are rusty, give them a wire brush and a coat of paint at the same time you are painting the carriers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Will see if I can get some carriers from Sweden but if not may buy the caliper & carrier but use my calipers, as you say it'll be much less hassle.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Am I right in thinking these will fit?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-FOCUS-C-MAX-PASSENGER-SIDE-FRONT-N-S-BRAKE-CALIPER-300MM-2005-2011/360542162974?hash=item53f1fcd01e:g:kS0AAOSwDk5T35pM

Whilst I don't plan to use the caliper and the carrier needs some tlc, the price seems favourable compared to trying to source some from Sweden.
It look similar, though without being able to see the casting markings under the rust I couldn't say for certain that they are the same parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers Peanut. Here's the link to my specific post:
Brake Disc/ Pad Replacement

I was able to source the caliper carriers from sweden, though they did need refurbing before I put them on. With the delivery costs it did work out slightly cheaper than buying calipers and carriers from the UK. I am not 100% sure the Mk2.5 Focus/C-Max parts are the same - they look similar, bu I don't know if the disc offset is the same.

As for fitting a used set of calipers as well as the carriers, (and probably ones that have been in a crash) I wouldn't do it personally unless you are going to fully strip, flush and recondition (new seals and dustcovers) them first. You then have the hassle of disconnecting a possibly seized hose union into your existing caliper and then bleeding the brakes afterwards. The whole point of doing the 300mm upgrade is that it's easy because only the carriers need to be changed. If your calipers are rusty, give them a wire brush and a coat of paint at the same time you are painting the carriers.
Hi Buzby,
But if you upgrade your braking system from 278 to 300 you don't need any ESP SW update?
How does the ESP know that you have a different braking system?
From my experience in OEM we have dedicated Cal file on ESP ECU for each breaking system/engine variant.
Because i would like to upgrade my braking disc on my V40...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts