Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well having tried 2 sets of Volvo wipers and suffering from the smear right across my eye line, I tried some halfords own brand, these seemed to work fine.

I therefore told the dealer when I went in for its first service, but they said they could do nothing for me, they did not even offer me a 3rd set of wipers free.

Anyway, 3 months have passed and the halfords obese have started smearing in the same place, I can therefore only conclude there is an issue with the screan or the wiper arm (yes I have tried cleaning the window, including using some potent cleaning gear not just the off the shift spray stuff, I have tried rainX and g1 etc)

So I have just fitted some Bosch ones (not really a fan of Bosch wipers but willing to give anything a try now) and surprise surprise the smearing has gone......l for now.

If this doesn't work, the only other to try is replace the screen (it may be cheaper than spending £40 every 3 months on wiper blades in the long run)

·
Registered
22 Posts
im having the same exact issue with my v40 CC as well. have changed my wipers twice. it smears and judders after 1 month of replacement. not impressed at all.

will send in for another round of checking.

will want to go ahead with the bosch wipers if the 3rd set fails me again.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im having the same exact issue with my v40 CC as well. have changed my wipers twice. it smears and judders after 1 month of replacement. not impressed at all.

will send in for another round of checking.

will want to go ahead with the bosch wipers if the 3rd set fails me again.
How long have you had it?

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's no good just cleaning the window. You have to clean the wiper blade too.

Use a bucket of water with a few drops of washing-up liquid and a about a tablespoon of plain old malt vinegar (like they have at the chip-shop).

Wash the window with a Chamois and polish with a clean duster. Old soft cotton bed sheets are fantastic for polishing. Ask your gran if she has any spare!

Wipe the wiper blade with the same mixture until the cloth comes away clean (no black rubbery smears).

Do this every time you clean the car or at least once a month and you will be fine.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst I appreciate your advice (and other who do not care for their wipers may find it useful) I do regularly clean my wipers and I also know how to clean windows (smears and greasy screens do not go down well at concours events)

The issue is definitely to do with the car, not how I care for it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I do find this very strange, I've had cars long enough and driven enough miles (208,000!) in the same car (Astra) to have no idea why this is happening.

My wife's V40 had this exact issue after 4000 miles, and Volvo at that time gave us some new wipers FOC. So far it is fine but not 100% perfect on the wipe again bang on eye-line.

The eye-line of the blade appears to be the centre, exactly where the blade it attached to the arm...either the spring on the arm is not strong enough, or something else I cannot fathom is at fault.

The wipers on my Astra are now about 4 years old and are Vauxhall OEM supplied ones too, and they do not smear at all, so I don't think it's the V40 blades at fault, as the poster above also had the same issue with the Halford's blades. That does seem to point at this being a design issue somehow with the V40 wiper setup.

The passenger side is fine and always has been...

Rain repellent makes a little difference, making it a little safer as the smear repels much better than without - I use GTechniq G5, I don't like the silicone based RainX.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am also thinking it may be an issue with the arm but is so why does not happen with new blades?

Also if I get another (which I will no doubt have to pay for as Volvo will blame everything else but not accept it is their fault) that will likely have the same issue.

I have another v40 (a cc my14) that has done about 30,000 miles and the driver of that has not had an issue, I may try swapping the arms between cars

·
Registered
221 Posts
Same

My 9 month old has the same issue, drivers side , right in the eyeline, smear about 1 inch wide. Not sure of the rest also have this, but mine is perfect on the initial stroke (from rest to perpendicular) but has this smear on the reverse stroke.

Not tried yet as it only happened for the first time this week, but was wondering, can I reverse the blade at all (spin it through 180 deg ) ?

* remember if you want to play with the blades, put the wipers in service mode :) (pg 352 in MY14 manual) *

Reactions: denn1s

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't bother with the service setting, just turn the car off half way through te sweep.

It seems I am not the only one, I now have 3 sets of blades for Volvo to inspect if they ever care about driver safety.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is yet another irritating little niggle with an otherwise quality car.

I thought it might be an airflow issue as it mainly happens for me when I'm in motion but now it does it when stationary.

I now suspect that the wiper arm spring isn't man enough for the job and is being overcome by the tension in the wiper blade itself so I'm going to have a rummage around and see if I can zip tie a couple of turns on the spring to increase the preload and hopefully provide a bit more force on the blade.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I thought it might be an airflow issue as it mainly happens for me when I'm in motion but now it does it when stationary.

I now suspect that the wiper arm spring isn't man enough for the job and is being overcome by the tension in the wiper blade itself so I'm going to have a rummage around and see if I can zip tie a couple of turns on the spring to increase the preload and hopefully provide a bit more force on the blade.
Let me know if it solves the issue, I may try refitting an old set after they have spent a few weeks being kept straight in their box (I knew keeping the box was a good idea:blush:

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Use some newspaper, and dry the window with it. When I got the D3, it rained that night, and also the right hand side wiper made noise as it stops and returned back to starting point.

Phoned the dealership, and they told me sometimes shoe polish etc gets written on the windscreen, to find the car faster, and said I must clean with newspaper. I must say it is much better now and quieter. Went and bought me a proper window car cleaning cloth, which i now use for the windows, as a buddy of mine also said not to use a chame.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As you gather from my previous posts I know how to clean and have high end gear to do so and noting the age of my car and the various cleaning methods I have tried to resolve this issue it is clearly an issue with the car.

·
Registered
196 Posts

How did you get on with this? We came to the same conclusion last week, that the spring on the drivers side arm isn't strong enough to keep the centre of the sprung blade in good contact with the screen, there seems no other issue to consider.

We had a new blade from Volvo a month or so back and it's already showing the same symptoms as before, the centre part of the blade just doesn't clear the screen properly and ends up smearing dangerously.

The car is due its first service in a few weeks so we'll raise the issue again.

·
Registered
252 Posts
as yet my blades seems to be ok?, but I do find the inability to lift the wiper arm inconvenient :thumbdown: when cleaning the windscreen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
as yet my blades seems to be ok?, but I do find the inability to lift the wiper arm inconvenient :thumbdown: when cleaning the windscreen.
I agree with you Darren T3. Very Difficult to clean the windscreen when the windscreen wipers will not lift.

V40 D3 LUX WITH NAV, FLAMENCO RED WINTER PACK WITH REVERSING CAMERA.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just put mine in the service position before cleaning the screen- had issues too with smeary noisy wipers, but since using Demon Shine regularly, the wipers have been fine?!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.