Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to buy a V40 and am wondering if there are any mechanical differences between the D3 and D4.

From the following site, there appears to be no mechanical difference, but it doesn't give turbo specs.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/en-gb/models/v40/2014/specifications

I am probably going to get the RICA map, and if the D3 is mechanically the same, I will probably just go for a D3.

I am really happy the gearbox is the same so the extra 50 horses wont stress it.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Looking at the parts database in VIDA, the D5204T6 (D3) and D5204T4 (D4) have the same replacement cylinder head, valves, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors and even turbo (the Volvo part number translates to a Garrett 787630-0001/GTB1752VK), so that would imply the only difference between the 5-cylinder D3 and D4 is the map. It could be that they ran some kind of grading system when the engines are dynoed during manufacture so the ones that didn't make the D4 grade regarding power and torque were downgraded to D3 (like what processor chip manufacturers do).

The new VEA D4204 D3 and D4 engines are different though - the D4 is a Twin Turbo, for a start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the parts database in VIDA, the D5204T6 (D3) and D5204T4 (D4) have the same replacement cylinder head, valves, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, injectors and even turbo (the Volvo part number translates to a Garrett 787630-0001/GTB1752VK), so that would imply the only difference between the 5-cylinder D3 and D4 is the map. It could be that they ran some kind of grading system when the engines are dynoed during manufacture so the ones that didn't make the D4 grade regarding power and torque were downgraded to D3 (like what processor chip manufacturers do).

The new VEA D4204 D3 and D4 engines are different though - the D4 is a Twin Turbo, for a start.
Thank you so much, that is really helpful. I think I'll get the D3 I've been looking at then.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Buzby, can you explain difference betwen new drive-e engines? D3 and D4?
Isn't D3 twin turbo?
The V40 120hp D2 engine (D4204T8) is a single low-pressure turbo (a tiny Garrett GT1244SZ)

The 150hp D3 (D4204T9) is also a single turbo (a Garrett GTD1446VZ).

The 190hp D4 (D4204T14) and the 225hp D5 (D4204T11 - not used in the V40, but is in the S60/XC60) are both twin turbo units, which consist of of a small high-pressure turbo that spins up quickly that is sequentially linked to a larger low-pressure turbo.
High pressure turbo:

Low pessure turbo:

There is a good description of how the sequential charging system works from the manufacturer (BorgWarner) here:
http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/r2s.aspx

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thanks buzby! You are a v40 forum legend! Hehe :)
Do you know, if this turbos are water cooled? Or how car handle start/stop system on hot turbo after highway drive?
I think the low-pressure turbo may be water cooled (it is in the similar system BorgWarner developed for VW's 2-litre diesel, and in the D4's exhaust manifold parts diagram there are water hoses) but that is because the EGR gases are fed into the intake side of the LP turbo to be mixed with the charge air, rather than for cooling after the engine is turned off.

Here's the parts diagram so you can see how it all fits together on the D4. The HP turbo is at the top, integrated into the ehaust manifold, and the larger LP turbo bolts on underneath. It looks like a mechanic's nightmare!:

Just for completeness, here's the D4 EGR system that's caused a lot of trouble. Part 1 is the EGR valve, and part 2 is the EGR cooler:

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI buzby,
Compliments for your in-depth knowledge of volvo engines.
I own a v60 ocean race d2 vea, but it's not enough performing.
I know there is a limit for the garret turbo at 130hp .
Do you think it could be possible replace the garret with a more performing model and remap the ecu ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The V40 120hp D2 engine (D4204T8) is a single low-pressure turbo (a tiny Garrett GT1244SZ)

The 150hp D3 (D4204T9) is also a single turbo (a Garrett GTD1446VZ).

The 190hp D4 (D4204T14) and the 225hp D5 (D4204T11 - not used in the V40, but is in the S60/XC60) are both twin turbo units, which consist of of a small high-pressure turbo that spins up quickly that is sequentially linked to a larger low-pressure turbo.
High pressure turbo:
Hi, sorry for reviving old thread, but I do have a question about D4204T9 and D4204T14. Not sure, but initial search seems to indicate that engines are really similar. So is the difference between T9 and T14 really only the turbo or are there some other differences? Is it feasible to convert T9 to T14 engine by changing turbo. I understand both engines have a slightly different gearboxes attached to them starting from 2017 model years.In auto T14 has AW TG-81SC and T9 has AW TF-71SC. How much different tuning potential both engines have? I've been told that you could mod t9 to perform 190HP with a simple re-map but that makes me wonder could you get T14 performance with some physical mods such as changing turbo in addition to proper re-mapping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,
Some people get confused when talking about the Diesel engines in the V40 As there 4 and 5 cylinder engines available at different times.
The early V40’s (2012-2014/15) had the following engines:
D2- 1.6 (1560cc) 4 cylinder PSA/Ford engine with 115bhp.
D3- 2.0 (1984cc) 5 cylinder Volvo (a variation of the D5) with 150bhp.
D4- 2.0 (1984cc) 5 cylinder Volvo (a variation of the D5) with 177bhp.
These 5 cylinder engines are the last of the proper Volvo engines and in my opinion are the best option. Mechanically there is no difference between the D3 and D4 and the only difference is the engine map/tune. All engines components were the same. This is why you can get the D3 (5 cylinder) Polestar optimised at a Volvo dealer that will take it from 150bhp to 177bhp. Basically they down load the D4 tune onto the car.
From 2014/15 the V40 changed and used its own VEA (Volvo engine architecture) engines which were all 1969cc 4 cylinder engines.
These are:
D2- 1969cc 4 cylinder single turbo, 120bhp.
D3- 1969cc 4 cylinder single turbo, 150bhp.
D4- 1969cc 4 cylinder twin turbo, 190bhp.
The early VEA engines suffered with a poor piston ring design which led to some early VEA engines having high oil consumption.
The 5 cylinder D3 and D4 engines in my opinion are the best as they are a proven design and suffer from little issues. They also sound smoother and sportier when pushed due to them having 5 cylinders. There is no recommendation to replace the after pump on the 5 cylinders as these are bullet proof.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts