Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks,

I am still hunting for a R-design 5pot v40, the D4 is what I would prefer and my requirement aren't that high, black or rebel blue, manual....and well I guess that's it, I don't mind much for the extras, maybe parking sensors.

Anyway, it has been an arduous and long search with little results in the 5 pots, my question is would yous think it would be 'just as good' or 'much the same' to get a d3 and have it remapped up to around the D4 spec?
My draw with the D4 is the fact it has more power and still retains relatively modest mpg.

Also if anyone, is selling, feel free to pm me.

I am also talking with a chap about his 'polestar' D3, it has ;stage 2 remap (22hp and505nm confirmed), PS 19" wheels, lowered suspension (not PS suspension), a d088 intercooler, straight through powerflow exhaust (dpf delete) amongst other bits and bobs but some of this does raise more questions than answers.

In my mind if he has had it stage 2 mapped and installed lower suspension, thus negating the polestar package, what is the point? Also what is the real need for an intercooler here? thoughts?

Also if anyone is selling a D4 5 pot (or 3 maybe...) feel free to give me a shout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
90% of the earlier V40s are the 1.6 D2.
There are a few D3s, and very few D4s. I was very lucky to find my D4.

Having driven both, I would definitely consider a D3, it's the same engine as the 5 pot D4. The turbo boost comes in much earlier so it actually feels faster when you're driving normally. The D4 has the boost much later, so you really have to floor it to feel it. But it does have much more and does feel faster when the boost does kick in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My apologies, by no means was I referring to the 1.6 engine, I will only be buying the 2.0l.

Although it is definitely good to know about the turbo, does that still go for the 2.0l?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve got a 5 pot D3 cross country for sale ….. I put the ad on here but it keeps disappearing for some reason ,,

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi @NortonK !

I had a D3 and had it remapped to D4 (=Polestar) in Sweden and I can tell you it's worth every penny. There are very few original D4s around and polestaring a D3 is exactly the same as a real D4. I often read that the D3 is better because it has its maximum torque already at 1500 rpm, whereas the D4 has it later, at 1750 rpm, but logically, it's the opposite: The D4 has the same torque around 1500 rpm but is not capped there, instead, torque goes even higher! So the D4 has all the advantages of the D3 plus a little more and it feels absolutely different. I loved my D3, but I always felt the limitations of the engine software, it pulls off like a train, but then you feel how it's power is limited. This limit goes away with the remap and you realize how this engine was originally built. So you have to see it from the other side: the D3 is really a detuned D4, and the D4 is not a tuned D3! Plus, if you have the geartronic, shifting speeds are higher, too without sacrificing the smoothness driving in normal mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was the same as yourself and wanted a rebel blue D4 but it had to be a 5 cylinder diesel. After driving both the 4 and 5 cylinder the 5 sounder better by far. I know they are slightly less fuel efficient but they are by far better in sound and they are a derivative of Volvo’s tried and tested 2.4 D5. The 5 cylinder D4 was only offered until early 2014 whilts the 5 cylinder D3 was offered until early 2015.
I managed to get a 2015, 15 plate D3 that I purchased last month. I have just had a Polestar optimisation from Tolbar Volvo in Warwick which has taken the bhp from 150 to 177. In theory they download the D4 map into the car. According to the dealer the D3 engine is the same and the D4 but just limited via the software.
It has completely changed the car and I would definitely recommend getting a D3 and adding the Polestar optimisation on. It‘s currently on offer for £595 instead of £745.
I know that Superchips could have remapped the car to 200bhp but at least with the Polestar its a genuine Volvo product and at the time it didn’t affect the warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts