Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a fairly new episode of 5th gear on Friday night, and they tested a weird looking little VW, Volvo V40 and Merc S350.

They had this plastic dummy car being pulled by a Land Rover, and then they took the 3 cars, pretended to look around, play on the radio, etc, to see if the car will detect the car in front and stop.

The VW did well up to 15mph, so did the Volvo and Merc. The VW only had a basic city safety in, so as the speed went up, they couldn't test it. The Volvo also had collision avoidance in. Still at 55mph the Volvo stopped, the Merc hit the car.

Anyone seen this episode?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, I've seen it too. And its on youtube:

Worth to spend 8 minutes watching.

Also worth watching is the 5th gears team test of the V40, if you haven't seen that:

If you don't have those 5:37 of spare time, do your self a favor, and fast forward to 3:45 and see how you can park your v40! Haven't tried it, but it looks like fun :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
impressive especially the collision avoidance city safety worked even though the display said the pedestrian detection system needed a service, you would think they would have serviced it before the test !!!:blush:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mine activated as I was parking at a DIY store this past weekend. Scared the bajeezus outta me.

Glad it works though lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the car dealer to test mine out when I picked up the car in their test area. Didn't have the guts to do it myself. Worked great but probably took a few hundred kms off my tires :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the car dealer to test mine out when I picked up the car in their test area. Didn't have the guts to do it myself. Worked great but probably took a few hundred kms off my tires :)
not to mention the couple of years life expectancy he lost. would have loved to seen the expression on his face as he tested it

·
Registered
3 Posts
have had the car for 2 weeks, city safety activated this morning when I was a little impatient and got too close to a parking barrier before lifting. Makes the most horrible noise even at speeds of <5km/h, glad it works though. Scared the living crap out of me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I very much like the thought of this system, but can anyone tell me ......what happens if a car reverses into you ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Think about it. The system activates if it detects something like a car in front of you, getting closer, to the point where the system anticipates there will be a collision. If a car is reversing towards you, the system will still anticipate a collision, and will activate if you are moving forwards towards the other car. Unfortunatley it will not activate the brakes in the other car! That will be the next generation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Would it not be clever enough to know the speed of your car and the radar return speed of the other car mean the other car is reversing and brake earlier? In essence, as if your car is going faster...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Provided the closing speed is within the limits of the system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Haha, I had visions of my beautiful V40 slammimg on its brakes, just waiting for the impact of the oncoming ( but reversing ) vehicle

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the system kicks on, sadly nothing will stop the car behind you driving up your bum.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If I nip onto the drive a bit pronto the system kicks-in with about ten feet to go! Really wakes one up! Nice to know it works though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts