Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed a noise coming from the car, whenever turn on the Air conditioning I hear a faint hissing and bubbling type noise coming from the dash I have located it to the drivers footwell when I turn the A/C on it sounds like its coming from one of the pipes leading into the dash and when I turn the A/C off the noise is gone.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be the issue?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
So I've noticed a noise coming from the car, whenever turn on the Air conditioning I hear a faint hissing and bubbling type noise coming from the dash I have located it to the drivers footwell when I turn the A/C on it sounds like its coming from one of the pipes leading into the dash and when I turn the A/C off the noise is gone.

Does anybody have any ideas what could be the issue?
Sounds like there may be air or a leak in the refrigeration system - try getting the system re-gassed

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like there may be air or a leak in the refrigeration system - try getting the system re-gassed
Cheers busby, going to get it booked in to have a look, hopefully it isn't something they have to rip out half the car for, its been like that since I picked it up brand new so perhaps an error from the factory

·
Registered
51 Posts
Don't worry about it yet, if it's constantly hissing it will probably just need a recharge, I had this on my R just the other month. All the AC systems on any volvo I have owned hiss a little when the compressor starts.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've not heard an hissing from my A/C, but two days ago I did notice a very fine mist that seemed to come from the center vents for a few seconds when I turned on the A/C ?
The car was cold and windows slightly misted on the inside.

It hasn't happened since but it seemed an odd thing to happen !

·
Registered
729 Posts
condensation, 100% normal... Just like the little puddle you find under the car after a drive when its warmer outside, Mine hissed too (manual aircon) but always has, so I don't really worry. Might be I am just hearing the compressor run
Same happens on my other car, where you can clearly hear the compressor being engaged/disengaged (electronagnetic clutch) and the subsequent added noise of the compressor

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit of an update, took it into Volvo and they said there was a service bulletin for it.

If anybody is interested. To hear the noise turn the car on, turn on the A/C doesn't matter what temperature you have it set too and listen in the drivers footwell towards the centre console it sounds like a bubbling hissing noise, toggle the A/C off and the noise should disappear and then re appear straight away when its turned back on.

Cant explain exactly what Volvo warrington have done but they said it required a part ordering and I've got the car back its completely silent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sounds like my 2016 car.

Bubbly hissing sound coming from the air con. Disappears when ac is off. Loud enough to just be heard when driving, quite noticeable when stationary if the radio is off.

Not booked it in yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bit of an update, took it into Volvo and they said there was a service bulletin for it.

If anybody is interested. To hear the noise turn the car on, turn on the A/C doesn't matter what temperature you have it set too and listen in the drivers footwell towards the centre console it sounds like a bubbling hissing noise, toggle the A/C off and the noise should disappear and then re appear straight away when its turned back on.

Cant explain exactly what Volvo warrington have done but they said it required a part ordering and I've got the car back its completely silent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jamie, I've just had my volvo dealer look at this problem on my 2017 V40 and they came back with it's a characteristic of the car and can't be fixed. Any info on that service bulletin would be greatly appreciated so I can go back to them. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you tell us what and how you fixed it? Is there a part number I can ask the dealer for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer searched the Technical Bulletins and they reckon they found a fix. It's going in this Thursday to have parts fitted. Will let you know the outcome!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found the Volvo Journal, Part number: 31477917, you need 2 of these.

Everything is in swedish unfortunately. I work with volvo parts at Swedens biggest volvo dealer so I can find these things.and sorry for the bad quality pictures...

Skickat från min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
That appears to be "wrap the pipes in improved sound insulation"! I've been wondering if this thread is the same as my problem.
Basically for the first few minutes after starting the car (more obvious from cold) there's a loud airflow noise from the passenger footwell area that could equally be described as a hiss.
It varies with fan speed so is clearly part of the ventilation system; I wondered if some ducts were partly blocked?
It usually fades away as the engine warms up so I've not worried about it too much.

The instructions merely say "remove insulation" and that part number is described as "sealing"......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts