Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have a Volvo v40 r d2 2015 and I’ve been getting intermittent error message regarding abs/esc failure service required has anyone else had this and if so what was the fix and cost any ideas would be grateful as the error has now not went of for over a week

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi all I have a Volvo v40 r d2 2015 and I’ve been getting intermittent error message regarding abs/esc failure service required has anyone else had this and if so what was the fix and cost any ideas would be grateful as the error has now not went of for over a week
You would really need to get it read for any fault codes that would pinpoint the cause of the error. Possibly it could be a wheel sensor or wiring issue, but it could be one of many things and without a fault code to direct you to the right area you could spend hours looking in the wrong places and not finding anything. You cold visually check the wheel sensors and wiring for any obvious damage or loose connections though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I occasionally get this on the dash, but it is not stored or viewable in vida. I'm starting to think it's a faulty signal on the canbus.

I have tried to fault find for so many hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same car and year and this happened to me yesterday whilst on the motorway. My speed dropped and when hitting the accelerator the car was shrugging. Any ideas what this is and did you get yours resolved?

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have the same car and year and this happened to me yesterday whilst on the motorway. My speed dropped and when hitting the accelerator the car was shrugging. Any ideas what this is and did you get yours resolved?
My issue was similar but not the same.
I was getting the error as you do, but also SRS errors, and all sorts of BUS errors.
Was random, but plagued me for over a year.

Tried loads of things, reseating all the CEM connectors, New Battery, monitoring the BUS etc...

Eventually one clever soul on a forum said there was a recall/replacement or fix to a connector due to a mix of metals or something.

The connector is just under the carpet by the accelerator pedal. Around this area on this crap picture.

It looked ok, but I cleaned the connector, quick spray with contact cleaner, reconnected and it's been amazing for the last two years with no electrical issues.

It was a 5 minute fix.

Well worth a check.

Reactions: Bunny

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have V40, year 2015 too. And just fews days ago .... the error message "ABS/ESC failure Service required" :(.
Seems like a few V40 owner starting to have this message about same time.
You meantion "Eventually one clever soul on a forum said there was a recall/replacement or fix to a connector due to a mix of metals or something ". Can I know which forum is it....for me to find out more? I search and cannot find any message on the recall . Thank you

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have V40, year 2015 too. And just fews days ago .... the error message "ABS/ESC failure Service required" :(.
Seems like a few V40 owner starting to have this message about same time.
You meantion "Eventually one clever soul on a forum said there was a recall/replacement or fix to a connector due to a mix of metals or something ". Can I know which forum is it....for me to find out more? I search and cannot find any message on the recall . Thank you
There has never been a recall to my knowledge. There have been reports on several Volvo forums confirming that Volvo can supply a kit consisting of replacement gold-plated terminals for the wiring connectors to the multi-plugs for the CEM and footwell connectors, which use tin-plated connectors in their original form. It has been mentioned several times on this forum. It may have been the user Buzby who originally mentioned it. He has not been here for some time and may have moved on from being a Volvo owner. That Volvo introduced a repair kit does in itself suggest they are aware of a problem and its ultimate solution. It may be that they have "upgraded" the connector pins in later production also. I don't know though.

The fitment of new pins is likely to be a fairly technical exercise, as the existing pins have to be separated from the connector plugs, cut off and the new pins grafted on, whilst ensuring that the cables are inserted back into the correct terminals of the multi-plugs, that the wiring repair joints are properly carried out and effectively staggered so that they aren't all side by side on a particular section of the loom. There will doubtless be a technical bulletin to guide Volvo technicians, which we as owners don't have access to.

So in the first place, it is probably easier to attempt to clean or restore the original connections by disconnecting and reconnecting the plugs several times, which may be enough by itself due to the friction between the pin connectors to clean them sufficiently, or with the added careful use of an electrical contact cleaner fluid.

The footwell connector is obviously located in a position where it is the more susceptible to water ingress or possibly corrosion from damp in the footwell area, e.g. from wet shoes, leaking door seals etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My issue was similar but not the same.
I was getting the error as you do, but also SRS errors, and all sorts of BUS errors.
Was random, but plagued me for over a year.

Tried loads of things, reseating all the CEM connectors, New Battery, monitoring the BUS etc...

Eventually one clever soul on a forum said there was a recall/replacement or fix to a connector due to a mix of metals or something.

The connector is just under the carpet by the accelerator pedal. Around this area on this crap picture.

It looked ok, but I cleaned the connector, quick spray with contact cleaner, reconnected and it's been amazing for the last two years with no electrical issues.

It was a 5 minute fix.

Well worth a check.

View attachment 17551
THANKYOU SO MUCH for posting this info. I had this "ABS/ESC failure Service required" message pop up for the first time on my 2013 D3 yesterday. I took the connector apart and sprayed contact cleaner on it and hey presto the warning message is gone! Thanks sincerely

1 - 9 of 9 Posts