Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had my 2017 D2 serviced in April for the 60K KM service.
Do you know if the ac is checked and filled as part of a regular service?

I am going to southern Europe this summer and not sure if it is worth filling the AC liquid as it is 3 years old now.

Thanks for any advice.

Remy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally this is not needed as the AC is a closed circuit and no fluid could/should disappear from it.
Thank you Yauwera.
It is just that I read that over time it loses pressure and frequent checking/filling is required to keep the performance up and avoid issues in the future.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Run it for a good 10 mins to see if it's still cold? Please note if you had some Japanese cars previously, you won't find the Volvo AC as cold as those. If the car is 3 years old, I would think it's still ok for the AC. If not so cold, regassing at a garage shouldn't be too difficult nor expensive (at least in UK).

·
Registered
246 Posts
If it's not cold enough anymore after 3 years, there must be a leak. Mine is also 3 years old, and I'm freezing after 5 min! Yes even with these temperatures today. :)

·
Registered
Scandinavian explorer
5 Posts
I completely leaked this winter( the problem was in the nipple. Also 3 years old car. For the first time in my life I filled up the air conditioner in my car))

·
Registered
628 Posts
They only really need looking at if something goes wrong. It's a sealed system.

If there is a leak and the pressure goes, the clutch plate will not engage and you will know it's not working.

It's a subconscious belief when a person goes and pays £50 to get it refilled that there's a difference.

For example, do you get your fridge or freezer regassed every few years?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Car climate system is a bit more problematic from home climate systems or fridges, in point of "leaks".
Home things are almost really "sealed system". The car compressor rotates by engine belt, that is an external thing. The problematic point there is the compressor axle that needs a seal. During the winter months when it is not used, that seal "dries" and after some time start to leak. There is a small clutch on the compressor and when it is not working, the axle don't rotates. Don't forget also, that climate system contains refrigerant + oil. It is good to turn it on during the winter months, too. Just few times for the whole winter, of course when the external temperature is over 5-10 *Celsius. Just for few minutes is enough. Set climate system to "MIN" temperature and it will turn compressor on.
The other "leak" point is the rubber pipes between compressor and the other metal pipes. Home appliances are not moving things and they contains only metallic pipes. But in a car, engine is a "shaking" device and can't be used only metal pipes. Refrigerant is so "thin" gas, that it can escape from the rubber walls of the pipes. Not so much, but slowly escapes. So, even a new cars have refrigerant loses. It can be only 10 grams/year or 30 grams/year, but there are loses.
That is why car manufacturers requires check and adding refrigerant, if needed on each 2 or 3 years.
Usually in cars whole system contains about 500-800 grams refrigerant. Something in this range.
In the engine compartment under the bonnet will find a label with refrigerant/oil requirements and volumes. On my V40 MY2018 it is: 575 grams R1234yf type and 60ml PAG oil. For other MY/engines can be something different, check the label on your cars.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's a fair point..

My old S60 never had it's aircon looked at in 10 years and was as good as it was new.

Same with my V40 in 6 years.

It's not really a serviceable thing if it's working I should have said.

By not servicing it, it's not going to destroy the car like not servicing an engine.

Re the Winter, I think I use it more then to demist the car tbh. Always leave my climate control on auto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: had the system checked and filled. They told me it needs to be done every 3 years. It took 75 grams/ML.
Prefered to do this preventitive and with knowing I'd be going to be travelling through very hot climate this summer. (thousands of KM's in Italy, Greece, Turkey).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Loosing 75 grams for 3 years, it's about 13% loss. That means 25 grams per year.
The system will still work with about 50%-70% of the normal amount of the refrigerant.
Have a nice trip, remy! All that countries are very beautiful, but they are really hot in the summers. : )
And good luck! : )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts