Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have an issue with my Rdesign that has my dealers baffled.

It is a 2013 car which obviously has the TFT dash.

Firstly can you dim the brightness whilst it is in day setting as it is a bit bright?

Now for the night setting, yes I know how to adjust the brightness once it goes in to night mode but how do you adjust when it goes in to night mode, I.e. it seems to go into night mode whilst it is still quite light outside, the handbook says you adjust it with the same wheel as the brightness but I can not work out how, when ever I move it all it does is adjust how bright it will be in night mode and not the sensitivity?

Please help

·
Registered
227 Posts
i have a quick question does your car have drl or not sometimes display can only be set when they are off .My previous car whould not allow the display be set if drl where on

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have a quick question does your car have drl or not sometimes display can only be set when they are off .My previous car whould not allow the display be set if drl where on
Yes it has DRL's, but the screen is controlled independently to the lights, the head lights may be on (and DRL's off) but the screen will still be on super bright day mode (during the day) then during the day the lights could still be on but the screen is in dull night mode, then at night whilst the screen is in night mode and the lights are on, if I turn the lights off the screen stays in night mode, all very confusing

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes it has DRL's, but the screen is controlled independently to the lights, the head lights may be on (and DRL's off) but the screen will still be on super bright day mode (during the day) then during the day the lights could still be on but the screen is in dull night mode, then at night whilst the screen is in night mode and the lights are on, if I turn the lights off the screen stays in night mode, all very confusing
Stab in the dark here, could the light sensor be faulty?

Ours turns over between modes very nicely, no complaints at all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay, I have a MY13 car and after reading this thread a few time I "think" I know the solution! You're obviously referring to the dash rocker that adjusts the brightness at night and "dims" the dashboard entirely. My car on a murky morning will sometimes put the dash and infotainment into "night mode"...to which I then have to increase the brightness if I think it's too dark.

I believe there is an option in the "computer" and where you can choose whether or not the dash goes into night mode or not when the light changes. I've definitely seen it and it choosing the option to maintain your screens in daytime mode I would imagine, will solve the problem for you? Cheers

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have my symptoms spot on and thanks for your suggestion.

I have looked high and low for the option on th emenus but can't find one (the stealer couldn't either, but I will have another look)

I however doubt this will sort it as I will then be stuck at night at not being bale to see anything as I will then be dazzled by the super bright dash board that is in day mode.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've noticed the same on mine- the night/day brightness of the dash has no relation to the headlamps and switches back and forth as it pleases. I wondered if it was to do with the lights being on Auto, but seems to make no difference. Be interested to find out the criteria for it swapping over!

·
Registered
395 Posts
According to the dealer we are just stuck with it, I am however pleased someone else has noticed it
For what it's worth I have the standard screen and even this will sometimes switch from the bright daytime mode into the dull (ie dimmed) night mode as it pleases. All I can assume is that it has a sensor which may be reacting to some of the dimmer days we have been experiencing. To be fair I have not noticed if this happens when the auto lights are on or not.
OldCroc

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have thought the opposit would occur with analog clocks, I.e. no back light in the day and then the back lights come on during the night, or are you referring to the digital odo and fuel gauge bars that dim?

·
Registered
13 Posts
On the volvo manual, it says that there is a sensor somewhere in the dash that detects the amount of light going in to the car and adjusts the dash brightness automatically.

On my Abarth 500C I have that "issue", sometimes it just goes darker during daytime and then brights up again...

When i get the V40 ill have a look too..

G

·
Hello there is a setting in the VIDA that the dealer can program into your dash to adjust the point it switches into night mode. Ask them to look for it properly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.