Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a new V40 T2 Manual Momentum Nav Plus in denim blue metallic with the only option being an auto dimming rear view mirror. I'd like to go for the T3 automatic but can't really stretch to it. I'm looking to keep the car for about 10 years and will drive about 10K miles per year. I'd be grateful for advice:
1. Are there are options on the T2 which I should really go for?
2. Would I be better buying a used T3 automatic (I haven't had an automatic before and I'm not sure what it would be like day-to-day).
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am not sure if the Momentum has rear parking sensors but if not they are a must have on the V40.
I have a V40 T2 automatic and find it very relaxing to drive and would not wish to go back to a manual.
Personally I find the T2 more than adequate but if you want more power then the T3 has another 28 bhp. You should be able to get an ex demonstrator T3 for the same or less than a new T2 so worth considering in my view.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. To the best of my knowledge, it will come with rear parking sensors. I've got a decision to make!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Like you CBM, I was recently in the same boat with you in ordering a new V40 Momentum Nav plus. I've chosen Sand Metallic, with the city weave interior (to lighten up the interior), and silver milled alumnimum centre console. Yes all Nav Pluses come with 7" Sat Nav, upgraded sound system (amp is under front seat) and rear parking sensors. This sound system is really very good when I test drove a T2 auto (coming from a car that has 8 speakers plus a sub). I found the T2 having enough power (just about), but I still felt my 1.0TSI with 110 PS vs 122 PS in V40 in my current car is still a bit quicker as car is just under 300kg ligher than the V40. Due to this, ultimately I went for the T3 auto.

Options I did consider getting but in the end didn't was the £300 TFT driver's display and £100 double boot floor.
Colour wise it was down to Osimum Grey, Lumious Sand and the darkest red vairant and Mussel Blue. Can't wait for it, it would be my first modern Volvo. Drove my dad's Volvo 850 20V back in the early 2000s, that was a tank!

Out of curiosity, what would your typical journey entails? City/town driving or mainly dual carriage/country roads?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I did choose the T4 last year. The T2 is really too slow for me.
As KXL said here: go for the double floor, and also go for a spare wheel instead of a repair kit.
The geartronic is really nice (for city traffic) and sometimes also fun to have because I have the paddles on my steering wheel.
Parking sensors at the rear are indeed a must have, as well as the TFT display iso the analogue.
I have cruise control with speed limiter but don't use it a lot (not fun).

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a 10 month old D3 R Design Pro Auto with Winter Pack and Xenium pack, plus space saver spare with 5700 miles for around £17.5K from my local Volvo Dealer in early February of this year. On the road new was over £33K so there are some good deals on nearly new. It is my first auto since a Volvo 850 GLT in the mid nineties. I found a car with the spec I wanted and it was an automatic. I have never regretted it. It is quick and leisurely to drive as you are never in the wrong gear. If the car stands outside, then in winter the heated front screen and the heated seats of the winter pack are worth considering. I am also finding the reversing camera very handy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My T2 is my first auto and I'm loving it, very relaxing as sjc says.

All new Nav Plus models now come with parking sensors and reversing camera.

I didn't bother with the TFT display, the analogue display still has the option to show a digital speedo.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I didn't bother with the TFT display, the analogue display still has the option to show a digital speedo.

And you can change from MPH to KPH at the press of a button, unlike the more expensive TFT version!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is perfectly possible with the TFT display!

I see you are in Belgium so perhaps you can change from KPH to MPH but that is not the case in the UK .. there has been numerous complaints about it on this forum.

·
Registered
185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnp1962 View Post
Driving to the Italian lakes in April and was hoping the electronic display dash on my R Design would allow you to change to kph but can't seem to find a way of doing it.
The only option I can see is toggling the stalk control to show kph down the bottom right of the dash but hardly a clear visible option.
Am I missing something or is this not an option?

If you have the LCD instrument cluster (which it sounds like you have), then the little display in the corner is all you can get. If you have the standard analogue dial cluster and have a MY15-on car, then you can have the speed in kmh displayed in the small LCD display in the centre of the speedo.

Lots of people have complained to Volvo about not being able to change the speedo units on the LCD instrument cluster. Apparently you can on the cluster on the new XC90 but not on any of the older models. Presumably when the SPA platform gets used for the replacements for the V40 and S60/V60/XV60 in the future this feature will come with it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a new V40 T2 Manual Momentum Nav Plus in denim blue metallic with the only option being an auto dimming rear view mirror. I'd like to go for the T3 automatic but can't really stretch to it. I'm looking to keep the car for about 10 years and will drive about 10K miles per year. I'd be grateful for advice:
1. Are there are options on the T2 which I should really go for?
2. Would I be better buying a used T3 automatic (I haven't had an automatic before and I'm not sure what it would be like day-to-day).
Thanks in advance.
If you are going to keep the car for ten years I'd suggest considering a pre-registered car or a low mileage demonstrator. Keep an open mind about trim level and you may get a better deal, or a better equipped car. Here in the UK this is a quieter time at dealers, and if you look at the trade papers there are a good selection of pre-registered V40s with delivery mileage - and often with extra options. When the car is ten years old the extra owner won't affect the value much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Many thanks for all the advice. As suggested, I'm going to look for a pre registered or low mileage demonstrator and keep an open mind about the spec. Looking through this forum, I get the impression that there are a lot of people happy with their V40! Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts