Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am looking at purchasing a V40 T2 1.6 R-Design Pro on a 2017 plate. Can anyone provide me details of their experiences with this model, both positive and negative.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
Hi, cant help with the T2, but ive just swapped my 2014 D2, for a 2017 D2 and the difference is unreal, the '17 feels much more solidly built, maybe my old one had a hard life in its short 46k journey? However improved it may be, the 17 model doesnt have the front folding seat which I didnt realise until outside wickes collecting wood.. and has stupid plastic grills in the bumper due to drl being part of the head light. The R-design pro is the model I wanted, but got fed up of waiting for one, so missed out on rear tint, 18's, sat nav, etc... Haven't researched petrol tax costs, but the rates changed in April 2017, so you have to be lucky to find a pre April '17 for lower tax (if applicable) Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, cant help with the T2, but ive just swapped my 2014 D2, for a 2017 D2 and the difference is unreal, the '17 feels much more solidly built, maybe my old one had a hard life in its short 46k journey? However improved it may be, the 17 model doesnt have the front folding seat which I didnt realise until outside wickes collecting wood.. and has stupid plastic grills in the bumper due to drl being part of the head light. The R-design pro is the model I wanted, but got fed up of waiting for one, so missed out on rear tint, 18's, sat nav, etc... Haven't researched petrol tax costs, but the rates changed in April 2017, so you have to be lucky to find a pre April '17 for lower tax (if applicable) Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply. I am still searching for true mpg figures for the car though.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I am still searching for true mpg figures for the car though.
I can help with fuel, There's a '17 T2 in the family, a clear 10 mpg less than mine on similar journeys, so 45 average, towards 60 on a steady motorway and as far as I know £130 to tax. It's far from cherished, and has never let them down

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can help with fuel, There's a '17 T2 in the family, a clear 10 mpg less than mine on similar journeys, so 45 average, towards 60 on a steady motorway and as far as I know £130 to tax. It's far from cherished, and has never let them down
Do you know if its the auto or manual? Everything I have been reading says the auto runs at 30mpg at best.

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
434 Posts
Do you know if its the auto or manual? Everything I have been reading says the auto runs at 30mpg at best.
my sister in laws in manual 6 speed. shes quite careful and light footed with 2 kids in the car. Around town in traffic 30 is probably all to expect

·
Registered
229 Posts
We have a t2 auto. With careful driving it averages around 39mpg on mostly short runs and in a rural area. In heavy stop start traffic that will drop to around 30-35.

These cars are small engined turbo designs. The biggest impact on mpg is how good you are at keeping the car running in the sweet spot. The main point is that the T2 does lack middle speed acceleration (say 40-60 mph) so it is very easy to just blow fuel for no gain if you plant your foot in the throttle to accelerate.

Also if high mpg is important to you then learning how to maximise the benefit of the 'eco' setting pays dividends in terms of mpg. If you just switch to it and drive as normal then you will not get much benefit. Using the kinetic energy in the vehicle (which is what eco mode does) is where the bewfit comes from. Take your foot off the throttle completely and you will, in effect, be free wheeling. Touch the throttle and you are back in drive.

I would say that if your driving style is 'sporty' you will be lucky to average 25 mpg. The T2 is quick enough for day to day driving but it is not sporty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts