Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - spec'd up my CC but did not do anything on the alloys (have std 16" ones)

Saw one like mine yesterday with nice black and silver alloys and have to say it looked better.

So that Mrs P does not get too mad at me trying to find something on a budget.

Do you think I need to go upto 17's or would 16s in black and silver look just as good.

Do 17s increase the ride height at all??

Seen a dealer offering the 17" volvo supplier in silver at £550 or best offer on e-bay but really like the black & silver ones.

Any suggestions/places to look

thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
I didn't know 16s were an option - I'm sure the standards were 17s (I have the anthracite grey and silver 18s).

I wasn't sure 16s would fit over the brakes, if they do, brill - I'll get some steelies and fit some cheaper 16s for winter tyres.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Go for 18's is my advice, 18" tyres are not bad these days and the extra inch makes a lot of difference.

Re raising the car, as you increase the diameter of the rim you reduce the profile of the tyre (this is the 2nd number and is a % of the tyre width, the first number)

·
Registered
225 Posts
What RiCu said - didn't even know 16s were an option on the CC. Here in Australia 18" are standard on our V40 CC (we only get the D4 and T5 AWD for the CC) and in the test drives I've had the ride quality is still good (certainly better IMO than 18" on standard R-Design V40s).

And as Dennis said, overall ride height is not effected as tyre profile is reduced as you go up in wheel size. This is in order to maintain much the same overall tyre diameter so you don't impact on the calibration of the speedo or odometer which both work off the rotation of your wheels.

Tony

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - gaining a better understanding now how it all works.
Seems the UK CC's come with 16's as std and is another £550 to go upto 17s
So can anyone recommend a good looking set of 16/17s to fit UK set up - some of the prices I have seen for nice looking grey/black ones are a little steep - want something that is save a reliable and that my insurance company wont have a fit about :)

Phil

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi, silly question but are you sure you've got 16s?

When I was speccing my car using the online tool I'm certain that the standard wheels were 17s, with 18s the option.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have 18's on mine, and they still look lost inside the huge arches, need 19 or 20 inch wheels :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi yes they are 16s the Lux get 17s as st but the SE 16s
Volvo have 15% off at the mo for accesories so have asked for a quote

·
Registered
382 Posts
18's are plenty imho. As someone already mentioned on this site, the "turning circle of the Titanic" does not improve with larger wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.