Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
Does anybody think about aftermarket (Koni, Sachs, Monroe etc.) rear shock adsorbers for V40? In my V40 cross country 2013 rear axle is very hard - looks like high speed bumps transfer from road to car body without any suspension ((( I want to buy more soft adsorbers - I think they are totally the same like for VolvoS40/mazda3/Ford Focus II because all of this carsand our new VolvoV40 2013 has the same platform and suspensions.

Any comments or ideas?

Thank you

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hello.
Does anybody think about aftermarket (Koni, Sachs, Monroe etc.) rear shock adsorbers for V40? In my V40 cross country 2013 rear axle is very hard - looks like high speed bumps transfer from road to car body without any suspension ...........
Is it really the shock absorbers that are causing the problem? It could be the tyre size/profile. Is your car an SE or a Lux, and does it have standard wheels and tyres? If not, what size tyres are they?

·
Registered
630 Posts
My wheel size is 18 inches.
It's as I suspected ~ they're non-standard. I'm guessing that in addition the tyres have a low "aspect ratio", which is well known for resulting in a hard and bumpy ride. What's the full designation of the tyres? (It's on the sidewall, and will be something along the lines of 225/40 R18 92W.) http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/plus-sizing/tyre-size-designation
Without that information it will be a bit difficult for us to comment.

·
Registered
630 Posts
18 inches is an factory option for V40CC, so tires and wheels are totaly original. Tyres are 225/45R18 as an accessory, it is possible to order even 19 inches wheels.
What you can order as an option or accessory and the resultant comfort of the ride are two different things. Compare the tyre suspension comfort value of your tyres with those which are/were standard specification for your V40 Cross Country variant ~ SE or Lux as appropriate ~ and you'll see what I mean.
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I understood that 18 inches are "harder" that 17 or 16. But I already wrote, that my prev. car has a 18 inches 235/40R18 tires and was more soft. I thinek problem may be solve with other shock adsorbers, only rear, because front is OK for me. Everything I want to know here - is somebody made this swap?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probably nooone made. Every car has different suspension, so your previous car was different. 16" with "normal" tyres gives you more comfort than 18" with low profile tyres. So I'd suggest to change wheels first. Also, you wouldn't lose the warranty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The effect on ride comfort of different tyre sizes is a technical and complex subject which most of us aren't qualified to comment on with any real authority. I suggest that, as a start, you ask Volvo what you should expect in terms of ride comfort from fitting your size of tyres to your particular V40 variant and get it straight from the horse's mouth. http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/about/corporate/Pages/contact-us.aspx
The tyre size fitted as standard to any particular variant will be Volvo's opinion as to what gives the best compromise of price, comfort, road holding, appearance etc. etc. to suit the market which that variant is aimed at. Anything offered as an option or accessory is merely intended to satisfy the whim of individual customers who have money to burn.

The subject of aftermarket shop absorbers will, for most people, be completely a step into the unknown. I personally wouldn't have any idea how the characteristics of particular shock absorber are defined, let alone compared.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I find the suspension on the S60 much softer than a V40, even a S60 T5 R-design is much softer, and smoother than my V40

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If someone of you has a expensive mountainbike, you know, that front and rear suspension has a lot of adjustable knobs - you may change speed of fast and slow compresions, fast and slow rebound etc. The same is in car suspension, but tuning of suspension characterestics may not change by customer - only at factory when new model start to production. Aftermarket adsorbers has a different setup than OEM, So I hope I can found @more [email protected] variant. KONI offer series (KONI SPECIAL) which has a adjustable comfort setting.
In my opinion problem of OEM adsorber is wrong fast compression setting - in high-speed bumps (like "sleeping policeman" if you understand me) they not work and "close" suspension directly to car body

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, guys, at spring (when it will be possible to work with car at street) I will try to install rear adsobers from Ford Focus II and let you to know about results. If somebody will catch information about aftermarket adsorbers for V40CC (Monroe, KONI, SACHS etc.)- please write about it here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

I just purchased a used v40 2013 model and I find the suspension too rigid, I can feel every road bump and so on...
My volvo dealer in Slough is the most unhelpful I have ever encountered.

So has anyone managed to replace the shock absorbers with a more confortabile one?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Setting of from stand still

I have low profile tyres on my car but find I can get a bit of a wheel spin if I put my foot down from stationary.
Now im not talking slamming it down like a boy racer but I am not confident that I wont get wheel spin.
My tyres are in good condition as well.
Has anybody else experienced this ?
Im also concerned about how the car will handle in a bit of snow if it is like this on a normal road.
Woops this was supposed to be a new topic, sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.