Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching for information, trying to figure out which camera would work on which model, I ended up ordering a reverse camera set on AliExpress.
The camera arrived home after 2-3 weeks.

It consists of an electronic module, a camera to take the place of the plate light (not adapted to my model), a video harness to connect the camera to the unit, and a "Y" harness to connect to the back of the main unit.

As is often the case with Chinese products, a photocopy is used as an instruction manual, without any clear explanation other than a few photos (from a V60...).

Before starting, my question was how to power the camera: there are 3 wires coming out of the Y beam and I was not sure if that provide the "+" ; one for the rear camera, one for a front camera, and a third one to connect an external reader (but then the wire is too small for the power to provide, not sure what it is used for ?).
So there are 3 corresponding video inputs on this Y-harness.

For the dismantling I followed the Volvo instructions available for the installation of an "official" camera.

Removing the aerators :

Removal of the storage behind the console (for unlocking the automatic gearbox lever)

Removing the gear lever gaiter and unscrew bottom of the console

Unscrewing the top and removing the console

Disassembly of the main unit.

Then I do a test to check that it works: I plug in all the cables, the new harness, the camera and I turn the power on; the screen lights up, the map appears .... but no music! I increase the volume with the button on the console, nothing! I want to switch the screen from GPS to Radio, nothing!

Arg !!!!

I try to put the reverse gear, the camera is working! Something ok !!

But it's impossible to have music, and a part of the console doesn't work anymore (ventilation ok, but impossible to change the source, to zoom on the map, etc...). Surprisingly the steering wheel controls work (zoom, wheel, ok, exit) except for the sound.

After search, I suppose that the Y-harness is not adapted to my car. In the original beam there is optical fibre which is not included in this Y-beam at all.

I guess it's like on the C30, there is a remote amplifier connected by optical fibre, so that must be why I don't have any music if the fibre is not connected ...?

(on top the car harness, on bottom the supplied harness without optical fiber...)

I'll just have to wait and see what my chinese salesman will answer me... :rolleyes:

Any comment welcome ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just unclip the black fibre optic cable holder from the original connector and clip it in the supplied connector. Had worked with my Ali-camera-module.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As you say, I unplugged/plug the MOST fibre optic and it works!
Unfortunately, the (rear) parking sensors don't work now (I hadn't checked them during my first tests). So sound or picture ? :rolleyes:
Crappy chinese products !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts