Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember to run the aircon sometimes if the car's not used. The aircon needs the gas and oil pumped around sometimes to stop the seals etc drying up.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I had a short trip to the Chinese grocers, 4 miles 30-40 mph roads. It was warm ish, on the return leg I ran the AC for 10 mins...still cold :)..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a short trip to the Chinese grocers, 4 miles 30-40 mph roads. It was warm ish, on the return leg I ran the AC for 10 mins...still cold :)..
You don't need to run it for long.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I'd pop this in here, seeing as we're on about aircon and that....

I have noticed, that unlike my other cars (which were mainly Honda but a few others) when the weather is boiling hot, the air is hardly ever what I call "super chilled"

It seems to be cool enough but never seems to be able to get cold quickly to bring the interior temp down quickly?

I'm wondering if this is the volvo Swedish way of not upsetting everyone, or something else.. I do know there is no issue with the gas... It never hisses like my accord did before this (even with full gas in)

I guess I'll keep an eye on it but would appreciate some feedback if any...

Ta!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try recycling only inside air , hot air coming in from outside takes more cooling, and is also humid so can ice up the system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The effectiveness of A/C systems definitely does vary... My current Volvo and previous 2 cars (VW Golf and SEAT Leon) all struggled to get "ice cold". You have to have it set to "Lo" and maximum fan to get chilly. Having said that, it easily gets the car to a comfortable temperature up to something like 30'c outside. Luckily, it rarely gets above 30'c in the UK (and Sweden I suppose).

·
Registered
399 Posts
These European cars are more interested in keeping your warm, winter pack, heated seat wamer, heated glass, heated steering wheel (not sure if V40 even has this), heat pumps. There's no summer pack, cooled ice box (some Japanes cars have a small fridge in the car)! Max AC and so on!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did wonder if it was a Swedish thing, the heater is frighteningly good!

And yup, my butt gets warm if I forget the seats are on!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why does anybody turn off the 'Climate Control'. It's an expensive computer to prepare the air on the way into the cabin. If you leave it to do its work you won't have problems.

Reactions: Tony1

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why does anybody turn off the 'Climate Control'. It's an expensive computer to prepare the air on the way into the cabin. If you leave it to do its work you won't have problems.
I have no o idea. I don't ever turn mine off now as such but don't like it blowing on my face, so turn off the face vents. It manages but it's still nowhere like the last cars I've owned... But hey, I live in Yorkshire so it's good for the usual weather! When we get a proper winter it'll be a godsend. Honda was crap that way round so I guess it literally is where the car is made may affect its a/c performance in hot or cold.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder whether the A/C parts are Swedish or off the Ford Focus like so many other key components on the V40.
These still come out of the old DAF factory in Belgium . It's about as Swedish as Chinese IKEA furniture probably.

·
Registered
275 Posts
DAF was bought by Volvo, so I don't get your point. Do you have any issues with Belgium maybe?
By the way: I have no problems at all in cooling the interior of my V40. It's cold after 3 minutes.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The thread I am reading is talking about Sweden and Swedish cars, I just can't help wondering how Swedish this Ford based V40 actually is. Apart from some engines.
I was given a Focus at Helsinki airport as a hire car, I was amazed at the similarities.
Some V40s are probably more just Fords with PSA engines.
This is my third Belgian Volvo: first was 340 with a Renault engine, then 360GLT with the classic Volvo B200 engine, and now V40 D3 again with the excellent 5 cylinder Volvo engine..

·
Registered
699 Posts
Remember the recently-retired V40 was developed in parallel to the latest Focus on a common platform when Ford owned Volvo.
Volvo updated the engines later in the production cycle (VEA types) after being sold to Geely but the underlying platform is very obviously shared.
However a V40 is very definitely NOT a Focus with a different engine. Volvo made a lot of changes and not just cosmetic ones.

·
Registered
361 Posts
DAF was bought by Volvo, so I don't get your point. Do you have any issues with Belgium maybe?
By the way: I have no problems at all in cooling the interior of my V40. It's cold after 3 minutes.
Too much choice when ordering Beers !!!, also you need a torch to see what's going on.
Seriously, when I start my V40, on a very hot day, the cool air coming out of all the vents, is strong enough to lift my wig off. Control usually reverts to standard cooling after about 1 minute.

Reactions: HPsauce

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have no o idea. I don't ever turn mine off now as such but don't like it blowing on my face, so turn off the face vents. It manages but it's still nowhere like the last cars I've owned... But hey, I live in Yorkshire so it's good for the usual weather! When we get a proper winter it'll be a godsend. Honda was crap that way round so I guess it literally is where the car is made may affect its a/c performance in hot or cold.
Don't forget it is climate control, not air conditioning. AC just blows cold air, CC tries to cool the car to the temperature you set. If you have the temperature set just below ambient temperature you aren't going to notice much. Try setting both sides of the car to "Lo"

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's actually climate control and air conditioning. The climate control is just the ability for the car to keep the interior at a specific temperature, but on hot days it still needs air conditioning to achieve that. The main benefit is you should never have to adjust the controls - if you know you find 20°c comfortable then in principle you set to that temperature and then forget about it.

This thread is saying that on a really hot day, the air conditioning is sometimes inadequate to get the car down to the chosen temperature. Of course any system will have a limit... even if that's when you're driving through Death Valley in July :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
699 Posts
It's a very long time since I got my first car with Climate Control (as opposed to just aircon) and I've learned to just "Set and Forget".
Another thing people often overlook is how useful it is in winter, the drying of aircon is often the most effective way of clearing a misty windscreen. Even better if it's heated.....

Reactions: chiptivo

·
Registered
266 Posts
There's no summer pack, cooled ice box (some Japanes cars have a small fridge in the car)!
Depends on the model you have, my R-Design has an AC cooled glovebox, just the thing to keep a bottle of pepsi cold in the summer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts