Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the alarm system on a 14 plate v40 design uses the secondary battery (start/stop) as a back up or has it got its own independent battery?
Many thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this isn't the answer to your question about batteries.

I found out though another post on here that Wi-Fi can trigger the alarm, I had left my mobile in the car (forgot it was in the boot) and it kept triggering the alarm. Something to do with the microwaves that Wi-Fi uses triggering the internal sensors.

Also In the menu for My Vovlo/My Car there is a setting to turn off the internal sensors, if you do that does the alarm still go off? I think it is called reduced guard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Also a spider on the sensor does it

·
Registered
17 Posts
Slightly off topic, but weirdly enough, the alarm on our car has never gone off, ever, and we've had a couple of incidents (which we saw on camera) of somebody trying to open the door and get in. I wonder what it actually takes to trigger the alarm?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the alarm system on a 14 plate v40 design uses the secondary battery (start/stop) as a back up or has it got its own independent battery?
Many thanks
It is powered from the main vehicle battery, but has its own internal back-up battery to power the sounder if the battery is disconnected.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Slightly off topic, but weirdly enough, the alarm on our car has never gone off, ever, and we've had a couple of incidents (which we saw on camera) of somebody trying to open the door and get in. I wonder what it actually takes to trigger the alarm?
I set my alarm off, for the first time in 4 years of ownership. I seemed to have locked the vehicle with one door not completely shut, which I didn't think possible to be honest! On unlocking, via the remote key fob, then opening the slightly open door, the alarm triggered.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My V40 doesn't have alarm system from factory.
It's an optional, can you confirm?
Certainly in the UK it is fitted as standard. Easy thing to do, leave the window open and lock the car. Wait a minute or two, then reach in through the window to try an open the door.

You can also look in MY VOLVO security settings, see if you can set the car to reduced guard. If there isn't an alarm the option is unlikely to be there.

Reactions: MagaDS

·
Registered
390 Posts
Many thanks
I can't answer your battery question, but if the alarm keeps going off check out the bonnet, boot and door switches and ensure they are working properly. I had a problem with the bonnet switch which was telling the car that the bonnet was open when it wasn't - this set the alarm off.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
68 Posts
Certainly in the UK it is fitted as standard. Easy thing to do, leave the window open and lock the car. Wait a minute or two, then reach in through the window to try an open the door.

You can also look in MY VOLVO security settings, see if you can set the car to reduced guard. If there isn't an alarm the option is unlikely to be there.
Thanks @Tony1 it's not there. Checked.
And i believe it's a good optional to have... an aftermarkt one installation it's not easy to make properly at home

1 - 10 of 10 Posts