Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of days ago I made quite a long journey, about 450 klms. The radio was off, the a/c was on, and the nav screen was on. About 20 minutes into the drive a black box appeared obliterating 75% of the nav screen and containing the text "Alarm, press exit to cancel or off to minimise", and the radio started playing. I checked and found there were no messages, no temperature problem, no obvious visual cause for concern. My wife and I just looked at each other, shrugged, and I pressed the Exit button on the steering wheel. The message disappeared but I had to switch off the radio. We carried on driving, and about 15 minutes later if happened all over again. This time I pressed the exit button and then turned off the sat nav and the whole display screen. I gave it 30 minutes, then turned the sat nav on again. Four hours later we arrived home with no further problem.
It was all a bit strange. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I recall this being raised before and I "think" it's supposed to a warning from the RDS traffic system reporting a major problem on roads in the area.
See: Upgrading the RDS standards
ALARM indicates a transmission of great importance, carrying information concerning a national or local emergency. Therefore all receivers shall detect this code, sound an alarm or display >Alarm !< and turn up the volume. A simple way to implement this is to treat the Alarm like a TP/TA, but then without the user option to turn this function off and then, during CD/MP3 or any other audio source being listened to, the receiver will switch (for the time the Alarm signal is on air) to the audio of the tuned or EON cross-referenced radio programme and use the same volume level as the one pre-set for TP/TA traffic announcements.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your thoughts HPsauce. I saw the thread on this after I posted, but I had never seen the problem mentioned before.
The thing is, I was driving on a fairly remote road in Greece, with no other traffic around and no sign of any problems. It was not the sort of place where an RDS warning might have been displayed. And in all I had three of these warnings over a 45 minute period.
Oh well, maybe there was an earthquake, I wouldn't have noticed it on that particularly bad road surface.
Thanks again HPsauce, I expect you're right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.