Volvo V40 Forums banner

Alloy Wheel Inserts

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Qwertyco 
#1 ·
Can anyone help? Recently purchased a 2016 V40 Cross Country. Lovely set of Alecto black alloys with Matt Black blade inserts included at time of purchase.
However have more recently noticed some of the inserts have been knocked off - probably casualties of city driving and local high curbs!
Have googled my last 3 days away trying to find replacements or how to fix but have found literally nothing online at all. Can anyone advise? Am I googling the right part if I’m searching for Volvo Matt black wheel inserts or am I missing something? Cheers

#2 ·
I'd take them off and keep them off. Where did you buy the car? I highly doubt rim blades are a Volvo approved part. I guess the previous owner fitted them and if bought from a dealership they didn't notice or couldn't be bothered to take them off.

I've seen what happens when they come loose at motorway speeds and it's not pretty. The damage to the paintwork across multiple panels wouldn't be covered by insurance.

The only supposed advantage seems to be protecting the wheel against kerbing, but I'm not sure they are particular effective at that, they are only flimsy plastic.

#3 ·
Cheers for the advice. It had occurred to me also that one coming off at high speed wouldn’t be great.
That said I’m not sure they are technically rim blades as I thought this was the case when I first started googling, but all rim blades I can find are fitted around the outer edge of the wheel, not clipped to the spokes. I also thought the wheels were perhaps not Volvo parts, but then found this online;

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-my/V40 Cross Country/Accessories/Document/VCC-509823/2017

You can see in the image the 6 plastic inserts fitted to the spokes. It’s these that have broken off.

Any further ideas?

#4 ·
Are you saying the silver portion is a plastic insert in the wheel Spoke ???
The silver part is treated differently to the coloured portion, usually machined, on one piece cast alloys.
Can't see the wheels being Volvo parts.

#5 ·
Yes, the silver parts are plastic inserts which appear to clip into small holes on the exterior. They are clearly designed to take the brunt of any curbing but I’ve lost 3-4 on each wheel now which looks a bit poor and am trying to replace with Volvo part or any alternative. The only type/example wheel I can find is the Alecto wheel on the website above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.