Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Played a bit with Photoshop, and added the new S60 Bor 19 inch rims to my car. How does it look?

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I am thinking of getting the current 18 inch Taranis rims I have on, sprayed gloss black. Not sure if I should do it, as I don't think Volvo SA is going to let me buy the above wheels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
wheels

I am thinking of getting the current 18 inch Taranis rims I have on, sprayed gloss black. Not sure if I should do it, as I don't think Volvo SA is going to let me buy the above wheels.
you can buy anything if you have the part number they don't care its money in there pockets

·
Registered
945 Posts
Are they the same offset (adjusted offset for the ride rim width?)

I am thinking the v40 is based on the focus, not sure on the v60 but if different a there is a change they have different offset.

Audi are terrible at that, the a3, a4' a5 etc. all appear to be the same rims and they will fit on each of the mother models as have the same PDC but in reality they have different offsets

·
Registered
389 Posts
After a bit of advice, i discussed with my local volvo garage the possibility of me changing my 17 standard r design wheels to some bigger 18"alloys yet to be decided (possibly gloss black pro race 1.2). Anyways he said that if i put larger wheels on they will have to change the software in the car to allow it to take into account the extra width (so it doesn't scrub) and to make sure the speedo reads correct?

Is this true or has anyone already upgraded their wheels and had any issues?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm not sure about your local dealer info. A larger wheel just needs a lower profile tyre to keep the circumference the same - that means the speedo is still good. And I don't quite see see how a software update while change a physical dimension to avoid scrub

These 20" wheels are actually fitted. I'm thinking that when my current tyres are finished a wheel change might be in order.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks nice

·
Registered
196 Posts
And I don't quite see see how a software update while change a physical dimension to avoid scrub
My understanding is that it'll change the limits of the steering rack, the off shoot is that you'll have an increased turning circle.

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am a sucker for everything silver

·
Registered
40 Posts
My understanding is that it'll change the limits of the steering rack, the off shoot is that you'll have an increased turning circle.
You learn something new every day. I didn't realise the steering rack limits were electronically controlled. Another reason to keep Kwik-Fit away from my car ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure about your local dealer info. A larger wheel just needs a lower profile tyre to keep the circumference the same - that means the speedo is still good. And I don't quite see see how a software update while change a physical dimension to avoid scrub

These 20" wheels are actually fitted. I'm thinking that when my current tyres are finished a wheel change might be in order.

It looks really nice. What's the offset? I am looking for some wheels with 38 or 40 offset, but I don't know if it is too much or not enough...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi , i am new here , what is the offset referring to? Is that something to do with the tyre or the rim ?

·
Registered
365 Posts
To the OP, I think it looks slightly ridiculous, with that enormous wheel and those now tiny disc brakes. And that's before it starts to knock all your fillings out! But, as they said in the ancient world, one man's Mede is another man's Persian...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi , i am new here , what is the offset referring to? Is that something to do with the tyre or the rim ?
Not the best technical explanation, but from my ripspeed days...... offset (ET) is measured in mm, its the distance from centre line of rim to the hub face, so fitting wider wheels sometimes needs care with offset, or the arch or suspension could be fouled. Eg, an old Vauxhall runs up to ET49, so struggles with arch clearance with aftermarket ET42wheels, while an old Peugeot runs ET15, so would require 30mm spacers for ET42 aftermarket wheels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts