Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my new R design a couple of weeks ago so am just working my way round all the features there are. One thing I was looking at was the ambient lighting. I haven't really experienced it in its full glory as its summer and I haven't driven when its properly dark yet.

But one thing I noticed is that I can see the ambient light (a small led) in the front reading light console and I can get it to change colour etc. but in the rear there is no light although it looks as thought there should be as there is a small black square like in the front. Can anyone confirm whether I should be seeing an ambient light there or not?

Just wanted to check before I have to look into replacing/repairing it?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Mine is the same, front one works, but haven't seen the rear one work. Will have to check again when I am driving.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really!!!!

No I don't have the lux pack. How much must it cost them to put an extra LED in the rear, I mean seriously!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TuonoV,

You appear to be correct, under the lux option it has 'rear theatre lighting' as an extra, looks like I will just have to have a light in the back that doesn't work. Not really critical but it is one of those things that will bug me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got my V40 D4 a couple of weeks ago (SE version) and notced the same thing whilst fiddling with the settings.

Had a look in the little ambient light slit on the rear passenger compartment light cluster, and I can see 3 little leds in there (assume red, green and blue) but they don't come on!

I guess it must be a software item to activate them, guess it's cheaper to just install them on all models (apart from the most basic maybe) then use the software. Very annoying though.

When the car is a bit older, maybe i'll see if they can be hardwired into the front ambient lights, and just let them mirror whatever the front one is set at.

Could be a bit of a faf getting the wires across through the headliner. But little things like this bug me, I know i'll always be thinking of a way of getting more out the car than I paid for - even if it is something small like a little light only my passengers would appreciate anyway!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have to say the ambient lighting is the most disappointing "feature". Surely all the lighting in the footwells should be the same LEDs as the top one. Changing the colours didn't affect my moods as it has such minimal effect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have to say the ambient lighting is the most disappointing "feature". Surely all the lighting in the footwells should be the same LEDs as the top one. Changing the colours didn't affect my moods as it has such minimal effect.
i have to agree it does seem pretty pointless - my wifes Mini has multiple led's in all doors, footwells, and overhead clusters and even cycles through the different colours if required - a much more 'atmospheric' :grin2:
Paul

·
Registered
612 Posts
I must be the only one who actually quite likes it as it is. Don't get me wrong a few more LED's in door pockets etc would be nice but I barely noticed the ambient lighting elsewhere in my focus and I actually think the LEDs give a nice glow when you're out at night!

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've got front and rear ambient lighting, but I agree, it's rubbish.

It really bothers me that the brightness of the ambient LED is linked to the brightness of the dash display. I have the dash set to as dim as possible, which means the ambient lighting is basically off.

(The setting in the menus for the ambient lighting brightness seems to nothing).

One of the few proper disapointments on the car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts