Volvo V40 Forums banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Normally the video converter is included in the kit. That's why we thinked there is only a video converter for 7" after all.
I don't have a link. I get the video converter from a forum member.
Hi.I'm new to the forum, and it won't let me send you direct messages.
I buy the same radio as you, I need to know where you bought the video converter module please (urgent). And how did you enable it from the car please. if you had the procedure. (please) Thaks!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have just fitted the right hand drive version of this head unit so if anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer them. No idea where to source a video converter I’m afraid as my kit came with one.

No idea on the 5” screens either, mine was the 7” one. When fitting mine I managed to fit the screen with converter in the original mounts in the dash, and the Android head unit in front of it with plenty of room to route the wires but YMMV.

·
Registered
2014 V40 D4
18 Posts
I have just fitted the right hand drive version of this head unit so if anyone has any questions I’ll do my best to answer them. No idea where to source a video converter I’m afraid as my kit came with one.

No idea on the 5” screens either, mine was the 7” one. When fitting mine I managed to fit the screen with converter in the original mounts in the dash, and the Android head unit in front of it with plenty of room to route the wires but YMMV.
Hey mate, just wondering what you mean about fitting the new head unit in front of the original screen?

Also just wondering how long the head unit takes to boot up after you start the car, and if the Volvo built in reverse camera shows up properly on the screen? Cheers!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey mate, just wondering what you mean about fitting the new head unit in front of the original screen?

Also just wondering how long the head unit takes to boot up after you start the car, and if the Volvo built in reverse camera shows up properly on the screen? Cheers!
Hi - so because the new Android display is slimmer and sits further forward than the original, I found it fits in place just fine with the original display in its original mounts in the dash. When fully installed this means i have the “adapted” original display bolted in its original spot with the new Android display mounted in front.

Sorry I can’t be more clear - I’ll get a pic of it fitted if I can next time I’m behind the dash. Worked for me anyway and neater than putting the old one in the glovebox.

It takes about 30 seconds to boot, it’s quite quick. Mine doesn’t have the factory reverse cam so I can’t comment on how well that works (you can view the entirety of the original display on the new display so in that sense yes but I don’t know whether it’s automatic on putting it in reverse etc)

·
Registered
14 Posts
As with all of these Android units they do come with a range of minor annoyances to deal with but on the whole it works very well - if anyones interested I can post some more detailed thoughts on it

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was interested in doing the same and went through all the comments. Just a sum up (if I have understood correctly):
I have the 5' version. Based on that:
I need to add the video converter and then I can retrofit the updated display without the need to keep the 5' on in the gloves compartment, is that correct?
Also, every button (wheel, rear camera) and indication (front/rear radar indications etc.) will work with the new screen, right? (even if some settings configuration is needed).
Have I missed something completely?
Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was interested in doing the same and went through all the comments. Just a sum up (if I have understood correctly):
I have the 5' version. Based on that:
I need to add the video converter and then I can retrofit the updated display without the need to keep the 5' on in the gloves compartment, is that correct?
Also, every button (wheel, rear camera) and indication (front/rear radar indications etc.) will work with the new screen, right? (even if some settings configuration is needed).
Have I missed something completely?
Thank you!
The video converter is in fact a convertor from the original screen signal into an HDMI input for the android touchscreen. By using that, you could switch to the aux and see the original screen on the android touchscreen.
The problem is that the converter does not work with the 5 inch screen. That's why some people end up with the original screen in the glove box (so they can access the original screen and settings).
Your indicators will only work with the 5 inch screen you'll have in the glove box.
I myself have decided not to install the android touchscreen until I can get the signal converter. I'm not happy with not being able to access the original screen signal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for that!
So the "only" way to properly do that is to upgrade from the 5 inch to the 7 inch display first and then convert to the Android touchscreen, right?
Do you happen to know how to upgrade from the 5 to the 7 inch? (I guess I'll find it in another thread though :) )

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - so because the new Android display is slimmer and sits further forward than the original, I found it fits in place just fine with the original display in its original mounts in the dash. When fully installed this means i have the “adapted” original display bolted in its original spot with the new Android display mounted in front.

Sorry I can’t be more clear - I’ll get a pic of it fitted if I can next time I’m behind the dash. Worked for me anyway and neater than putting the old one in the glovebox.

It takes about 30 seconds to boot, it’s quite quick. Mine doesn’t have the factory reverse cam so I can’t comment on how well that works (you can view the entirety of the original display on the new display so in that sense yes but I don’t know whether it’s automatic on putting it in reverse etc)
Hi there would love to see the photos of yours. Love the larger screen but feel that the replacement panel kinda feels cheap

101 - 110 of 110 Posts