Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has bothered me since I got the car - the thing where it increases the revs a bit by itself when you start taking your foot off the clutch then decreases once you're moving and the clutch is fully out.

In itself it's not a problem but is extremely annoying when in traffic. It gives a bunny hop/see-saw effect when you're dawdling forward and makes for an uncomfortable ride. It happens in second too which makes it even more irritating.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I hadn't noticed that. My V40 is an early one delivered Nov 12. I can put mine in first, let out the clutch and let it roll without any throttle. It moves along very smoothly in heavy traffic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What engine variant do you have Mr Fro.
Haven't noticed it myself in a D2.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I assume you have manual gearbox, as auto doesn't use clutch :)

In my T3 I never experienced the symptoms you are describing. I sometimes felt the car didn;t give enough petrol when pulling away, had plenty of times where the car almost stalled, and had to quickly press in the clutch, and re-try my pull off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Carefully observed my revs this morning on the way to work and no it didn't appear to vary any with clutch movement other than the expected dip as load was applied to the flywheel.
Certainly didn't rise any more than with throttle demand.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had a D2 since new in November '12. The revs rise slightly when releasing the clutch. I dont find it any bother, and it ensures that the car doesn't stall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
D3 auto revs from tickover when releasing clutch.

This has bothered me since I got the car - the thing where it increases the revs a bit by itself when you start taking your foot off the clutch then decreases once you're moving and the clutch is fully out.

In itself it's not a problem but is extremely annoying when in traffic. It gives a bunny hop/see-saw effect when you're dawdling forward and makes for an uncomfortable ride. It happens in second too which makes it even more irritating.
New D3 owner here, and this is one of the first things that struck me about the D3 engine, it can be annoying in traffic especially when you put it in 2nd and the car heads too quickly at the car in front, just have to work more on the concertina method of London commuting.:p

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
A D2, chassis No in the early 3K series (Oct 2012, maybe manufactured as early as May or June 2012), no revs increase when releasing the clutch.
I should have noticed it, as my previous car behaved a lot like this.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Most Diesels do this - it's called anti-stall

My 9 y/o land rover did it, basically you can pull away with no throttle and it won't stall (without being silly), Landrover actually applied throttle going up hill in low revs to avoid a stall to - don't know if Volvo does (not taken my foot off throttle for long enough to try it) ha ha

My D4 does it but subtly, not as a surge

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's right jifen, my landrover TD5 has this, at first it took a bit of getting used to.
When learning to drive we're taught to increase revs on letting the clutch out but anti-stall requires the opposite.

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a T4 manual and it does this as well but it is very smooth and I have never experienced any bunny hops or such when moving in traffic. The company Ford Mondeo (diesel manual) does this as well, it even does it in small bursts rather than steadily rising the RPM like the Volvo and I never had any bad experiences with it either.

It is an anti-stall feature and I found it helps especially when only using clutch in stop and go traffic. Since the engine idles at around 800 RPM, releasing the clutch rises the RPM to 1100 or thereabouts and therefore it can be released easier than without it, where the engine speed would drop unless you release the clutch super slow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so to clarify... When I say bunny-hop, I don't mean the learner driver type thing. Rather I mean that the auto rev actuates as the clutch is let out which causes an increase in speed and once the clutch is fully out, the revs drop back to idle which causes a decrease in speed. I find this surging annoying in traffic.

It's a "driver aid" that I find a nuisance and would turn it off if I could!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Okay, so to clarify... When I say bunny-hop, I don't mean the learner driver type thing. Rather I mean that the auto rev actuates as the clutch is let out which causes an increase in speed and once the clutch is fully out, the revs drop back to idle which causes a decrease in speed. I find this surging annoying in traffic.

It's a "driver aid" that I find a nuisance and would turn it off if I could!
I guess it can depend on the engine then? Do you have a diesel? Maybe the more immediate and low end torque in an oil burner can make for a more uncomfortable driving experience.

However, based on info from another Volvo forum: "I think the rpm-raising is actuated by a switch on the clutch pedal (probably the same one that's used for disabling cruise control) and programmed into the ECU to reduce the shock loadings on the dual-mass flywheel, when starting off from rest."

So it might be a bit annoying but might also prolong your clutch life.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just checked. To my surprise my D2 Cross Country does increase revs by about 150 rev/min from the idling speed of about 850 or so (the rev counter is hard to read with precision) to 1000 just at the point when the clutch begins to bite, if i keep foot off accelerator. Virtually undetectable -I certainly hadn't noticed before, wouldn't be able to tell except by watching the rev counter. If this helps avoid stalling it's a plus in my book.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Checked mine today and it goes to same place - just above 1,000 rpm, maybe 1,050 certainly no higher then settles back to about 800 once it's overcome the inertia. You really couldn't come off clutch with fewer revs???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.