Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
66Plate V40 D2 Momentum Nav Plus in Mussel Blue
83 Posts
Reliable?;...Unreliable?..Who can say?...An element of luck comes in to car ownership these days I think!
I would say the V40 D2/D4 is no better and no worse than any other car of a similar marque.
The problem is that all cars built since 2015 ( Eurocap 6)are having to comply with very strict engine emmissions control procedures and are loaded with an almighty myriad of electronic components. Controlling engine emmisions in any car is now largely where the unreliabilty issues invariably arise.
Cars in general, particularly diesels, built pre 2015 are in my opinion a lot more reliable due to not having all this emmisions gubbins on board.
The problem is that anything made pre 2015 doesn't meet the emmisions/congestion/ULEZ charges that are becoming more prevalent around the Country as time goes by. This in particular is going to be a major headache and additional expense for anyone commuting or living around London and inside the M25 from mid year 2023 who owns a pre 2015 car!
All other cities in the UK are following on though so it is all a just matter of time before we all unfortunately have to go electric!

· Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
257 Posts
My 2017 D2 (2.0 VEA) has now covered 126k miles with no issues at all, solid car. D2 D3 and D4 all have the same engine of this era, only thing that's different is the state of tune.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi - My UK registered 64 reg D4 R-Design manual + Polestar tune (acquired 2017) has also been very reliable with no issues so far (except a rear door lock issue....)
(with 84k miles)
Here is some info on the different turbo technology used on the VEA D2/3/4 engines which all share mostly the same 4 cylinder engine block and i guess emissions technology.
D2 = single standard Turbo
D3 = single Variable vane Turbo
D4 = dual stage standard turbo
D5(not relevent for v40)=dual stage turbo (one Variable Vane)

the info seems to encompass engines from 2014 thru to 2017 so maybe pre Adblue
(also some info on the petrol engines which are of similar modular design )

· Registered
7 Posts
Interestingly the website also did the same for the petrol engined VEA engines

It does appear the petrol engines do use the same turbo with different state of tune...

· Registered
2017 R Design D2
898 Posts
Hi Nick, depending on year youre looking at... An early D2 is a 1.6 ford/citroen derived lump, I was previously a massive supporter of this engine, widely used in Mini, Fords, Pugs, Citroens and others across the globe, must be ok... Thats until the 3rd clutch/flywheel assembly replacement lasting 1000 miles, then I decided to pass it on. My wifes C30 was diagnosed as needing an engine, an earlier version of the D2 literally made of chocolate. There are some real horror stories.
The later D2 is Volvo's own 2.0 unit, with dpf and egr issues if you only ever do short journeys, as with any modern diesel. . I chose the 2.0D2 pre April '17 so I can stick two fingers up at gov (zero tax) Hasnt broken down in 18 mths, has had an EGR + cooler (paid by Volvo), never been less than 52 mpg

· Registered
20 Posts
I have owned my rebel blue d4 for 4 years and it's never let me down, mines only done 62000 miles and drives like new, sadly it has to go as its being replaced with a mobilty car, its been a fantastic car and will be sad to see it go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts