Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

This is mainly for the UK guys regarding the new reg...

Great news the D3 R-Design will be at the Dealer tomorrow. I guess PDI and ready for collection by Tues next week.

Now that's only 2.5 weeks before the new 14 plate. My intentions were always to wait until 1st March but.... sooohhh eager! What do you think? I already got a great deal so unlikely they'd discount further for a Feb sale... perhaps only a £100 or two possibly.

Or do I just stick it out? I've already sold my car so enjoying the pleasures of Bristol public transport :-/

Thanks guys

Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aha - very nice too, I have just placed my D2 r design in ice white on order earlier today, will be with me circa April. I would think you will have had a great deal already, may ask em to put on Supaguard for you at half price if need be.........but I personally think as long as your happy with the deal and all is superb financially then you cannot go wrong, I placed mine on order as had a good deal, i have a c30 r design at presnt and if i had waited until after march to order my car value will have dropped by £1k, hence why I have gone for my v40 now

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Degsyb... Ofcourse the resale value will be improved with the 14 plate, but I guess I am struggling to worry about that when it's 2-3yrs down the line.

So is your advice to hold out or go for it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it depends on how you see it yourself and more importantly feel comfy with, Ive ordered mine today as i will not run the risk of loosing a grand after March.......thats a lot of money to loose and more importantly SAVE UP... Yes a 14 plate maybe good, but hey in a years time a 15 plate will be too.......if you have ordered your baby and arrival due anytime.go for it.....enjoy....... you worked hard for it so why not I say

·
Registered
382 Posts
When you sell the car the dealer uses the registration date for valuation down to the month and not the plate. The plate itself may have an appeal for the individual though.

I find the whole thing pretty stupid. The two reg period system was bought in to give the motor trade two 'boom' periods instead of the one, in September as it used to be. Why not just use the year and month on the plate plus the area identifier and then the random letters, it would only be one more character, something like AB14 2ABC = 2014 month 2.

I've had a personal plate for twenty years, it's the only way I can remember the darned thing!

·
Registered
227 Posts
re sale

well in south Africa reg plates have no value .value is determined by year of car ,so if you buy it jan or dec it makes no difference and value of car is based on base line car in range so makes no difference if you have leather ,nav etc same value.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The dealer values on many thing and the month of manufacture does not come in to it they work on things that will sell the car, age based on year and plate but not the month, condition, mileage and spec.

Obviously the dealer will say the opposite when they are trying to explain the low value they offer you as a trade in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I saw a 14 plate Skoda on the motorway today on it's way to "wherever" via trade plates...looked good. Hang in for a 14 plate, you'll be amazed how special you'll feel and is a nice feeling. DC

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys...

I've avoided temptation and will see out the next 3 weeks and wait for the '14 plate :)

I'm not too precious about that, but know I would regret the additional depreciation by taking delivery on a 63 plate.

Now.... How to fill these long 3 weeks?!? ;-)

·
Registered
630 Posts
......... but know I would regret the additional depreciation by taking delivery on a 63 plate.
As far as I'm concerned, the registration number is merely a number that I need to enable the car to be taxed and insured. I got the dealer to transfer the ten year old number from my previous car because it saves me having to remember a new number in "pay and display" car parks.

So how does that affect the depreciation of my car? :-/

·
Registered
382 Posts
So how does that affect the depreciation of my car? :-/
It doesn't and that's the point. A 14 plate has 'kerb appeal' for up to six months but when valuing your car the dealer will go with first month of registration (and possibly take into account the Manufacturing Year of the vehicle), the mileage and the condition.

I've never sold a car yet where I didn't feel that I'd been shafted, isn't that how it's meant to be?

·
Registered
945 Posts
A car with a 'cherished' plate will return to its original late once the 'cherished' plate is removed'

the year shown on the plate (and the suggested year of manufacture) is relevant to the potential purchaser hence why there was a boom at the plate change each year that they tried (and failed) to solve by having 2 plate changes, so the numbers on the plate is relevant to the value come trade in time.

The problem with the September plate is it covers 2 possible years hence why it is less popular still, check out auto trader, the real year plates is ply say that, post September plates made in the before the turn of the year simply say the number on the plate, the ones made in the new year generally with specify that in the advert as the car appears older than it actually is.

If the month was relevant the gasses guide would be like the magnate carter (spelling?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
does it make a difference?

I can speak from recent first hand experience. Just bought our first Volvo - D2 with delivery on 21st Jan so a 63 plate. I now have to wait 3 weeks to get the cherished plate put on it and then no one has any idea how old it is.

The same plate was put on the previous car: BMW 118d M sport which was registered on 25th August 2006. When we came to sell it in Jan this year, all the valuations, both trade and private placed more value on one owner, full service history and low mileage than the month in 2006 it was registered - it was still classified as a 2007 model year by BMW.

What is the answer? If only we could agree on what is the question. Or as my old boss used to say, " tell me what argument you want to win and I will provide the statistics to prove it.

My maxim is " look after your car and it will look after you" and in the two weeks of Volvo ownership it seems OK so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If the month was relevant the gasses guide would be like the magnate carter (spelling?)
My Gases Guide states that Hydrogen is going to rise as the boom in Hydrogen Fuel Cells takes off!

Sorry Dennis, just couldn't resist that one. I tried I really did!:angel:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Superb to hear Chosen, the days will pass (even tho not quick enough I know) at least hopefully by then we will have better weather to go out and enjoy the "new pride n joy"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.