Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably being quite ignorant here, but today I came across automatic rev matching for the first time. Apparently, the ECU can keep the engine running at higher revs during downshifting or upshifting (we're talking manual transmission here), instead of revs naturally dropping down, in order to make the gear change smoother.

Now, is it may imagination or the D2 engine does this? I think I noticed this a couple of times during my 250 miles drive yesterday, when I changed a little slower between 5th and 6th gear, it even got me a little worried as the revs did not naturally drop down. Did not happen every time, and I wasn't really paying attention to it that much.

Did not have a chance to test it today and I feel like I might have missed a decade or two of motoring progress. Any further information or expertise?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
945 Posts
Had this with a defender the other year, the car had a few issues and thought this was another one (not dropping revs when changing gear), I described it to Landrover customer services and the guy on the local LR service desk and they did not have a clue and a system check did not show any error codes.

It was only when I described it to one of the mechanics in the workshop thy explained what it was, it is to aid with towing etc.

Certainly strange at first but a nice feature when you get used to it

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I have a few cars and the Landy was the first I came across there again none of my cars up to that item had been approved to tow so that may be something to do with it???

Might be worth checking what you think is a feature really is a feature and not a fault tat seems to be a feature...if that makes sense

·
Registered
221 Posts
My powershift in sport mode blips the throttle awesomely when downshifting. I am sure it does it in normal drive too, but it's very noticeable in sport :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a couple of longer drives and paid a little more attention to the revs when changing gears. D2 definitely matches revs on shifting from 5th and 6th gear (drops revs by a couple of hundred). Not sure about lower gears, I think the revs are not matched there.

Helps the economy, I presume.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My powershift in sport mode blips the throttle awesomely when downshifting. I am sure it does it in normal drive too, but it's very noticeable in sport :thumbup::thumbup:
Powershift in sport mode? Are you sure. The S60 T5 powershift I looked at a few days ago, only had "manual" when you shifted the gear stick to the left.

It is not like the higher end models with geartronic, when you shift it left, it actually show S on the dashboard, and changes completely how the automatic gearbox behaves.

I didn't like the powershift, was happy to get back into my manual V40, not as smooth, but way more fun. Except in traffic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know that the Geartronic gearboxes treat the semi-auto mode as a Sports mode, it even automatically drops a gear when you flick it into semi-auto mode.

I presume that the Powershift is the same.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Powershift in sport mode? Are you sure. The S60 T5 powershift I looked at a few days ago, only had "manual" when you shifted the gear stick to the left.

It is not like the higher end models with geartronic, when you shift it left, it actually show S on the dashboard, and changes completely how the automatic gearbox behaves.

I didn't like the powershift, was happy to get back into my manual V40, not as smooth, but way more fun. Except in traffic.
Yes it displays an S on the gearshift indicator , the idle speed goes to 1000rpm, auto stop gets disabled, and it takes longer to shift in each gear. If you select +/- then you override the system and place it in manual mode. So far I have not worked out a way to re-engage Sport mode once a manual shift has taken place. You seem to have to move back over to 'normal' and back to sport.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That was the way my last Mondeo Ecoboost Powershift worked. You never really had to use the sport setting as the gearbox learned the way you were driving and adapted accordingly. I would have had Powershift like a shot in my D4 but only Geartronic is available and it is not efficient enough to give me a good enough return on my business miles. Sad face.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I wonder then if the S60 powershift is different than the V40, as the T5 I drove around the block didn't show S, it immediately showed the gear I was currently in when you shifted the gearknob to the left.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wonder then if the S60 powershift is different than the V40, as the T5 I drove around the block didn't show S, it immediately showed the gear I was currently in when you shifted the gearknob to the left.
The T5 has got the Volvo Geartronic gearbox rather than the Ford Powershift one. I must admit, I don't remember the geartronic showing 'S' on the dashboard when I drove it with a D3 - but I didn't really look at the dash much when I was driving.

My car is coming tomorrow (D3 with auto) so I'll let you know!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Indeed T5 is Geartronic, Powershift is only on T4 and D2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.