Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This functions only about 50% of the time in my MY16 T3 Auto, no matter the length of the journey. I don't mind too much because I prefer it not working anyway, but I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this or knows of a probable cause.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have the main battery checked,if it has dead cell or something,car will not allow stop/start if main battery is low,happened on my D3,car always started ok,new main battery cured it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you go into MY CAR, then the 2nd option, and start stop, it will say available, or the reason why it is not active.
Normally Engine Temp, battery voltage, engine system(regen) etc... I forget where in the menu, but its there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car (T3 Auto) had been idle for a few weeks and the stop/start wouldn't operate until I had driven 100 miles or so - presume the battery wasn't sufficiently charged. Otherwise, it works 5-10 minutes after starting from cold. The heated front screen seems to be the only thing that deactivates it. I wish it would only activate when the car has been fully stopped for 5 seconds.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Surely after a 'long' ish journey, (say 30 miles / 45 mins) there is sufficient charging for the battery to enable SS. My experience with SS, when it's cold and I just started 'from cold' it's usually not avalible for the first 1 or 2 times I stop (usually after 3-5 mins). When it's warmer, it would even SS after i travel 500 meters from a 'cold engine.' Saying that, I don't usually turn my stereo on till after 5 mins. My journies are usually 3 miles each way one day on a weekday, and weekend a bit longer. So battery perhaps always has enough charge. However also if i stopped and crawled slowly in traffic and come to a stop again, the SS doesn't engage. I think u need to exceed 6-7mph before it's ok or SS to work again.

I prefer the SS on my previous cars, you need to be at a complete stop (0mph) before it kicks in, the V40 one, you can still be rolling 1-2mph, and it stops the engine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Start / stop is powered by a second battery and not the main one as far as I'm informed. Check the manual, there's a complete list with reasons why it will not work (e.g. low temperature, high temperature, A/C, heater, etc etc).

·
Registered
604 Posts
My understanding is that the second battery is to keep systems "ticking over" while the engine is off and alternator not delivering charge; the main battery being kept unloaded so that it's available to restart the engine.
So if that second (smaller) battery isn't in adequate condition stop/start won't operate.
But I may be wrong, if someone can find the definitive description from Volvo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Surely after a 'long' ish journey, (say 30 miles / 45 mins) there is sufficient charging for the battery to enable SS. My experience with SS, when it's cold and I just started 'from cold' it's usually not avalible for the first 1 or 2 times I stop (usually after 3-5 mins). When it's warmer, it would even SS after i travel 500 meters from a 'cold engine.' Saying that, I don't usually turn my stereo on till after 5 mins. My journies are usually 3 miles each way one day on a weekday, and weekend a bit longer. So battery perhaps always has enough charge. However also if i stopped and crawled slowly in traffic and come to a stop again, the SS doesn't engage. I think u need to exceed 6-7mph before it's ok or SS to work again.

I prefer the SS on my previous cars, you need to be at a complete stop (0mph) before it kicks in, the V40 one, you can still be rolling 1-2mph, and it stops the engine.
With mine, when it hadn't been used for a couple of weeks, it took 100 miles or so before it resumed operation. I did consider there might have been a malfunction but it's a feature I'm indifferent about so didn't really care. I find it quite annoying at times.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine hasnt worked for the 3 weeks that I have had it from purchasing it, it is going to be going back to the garage for a new battery !

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just check in the My Car menu what the reason is for start stop not working. If it keeps prompting: Charging, then have the main or secondary battery replaced. Mine did this with a new battery, and it turned out, the secondary battery in the bumper was toast.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My understanding is that the second battery is to keep systems "ticking over" while the engine is off and alternator not delivering charge; the main battery being kept unloaded so that it's available to restart the engine.
So if that second (smaller) battery isn't in adequate condition stop/start won't operate.
But I may be wrong, if someone can find the definitive description from Volvo.
Looks like you're right :) . I stand corrected.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts