Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've picked-up my brand new V40 the other day, all good so far except the fact that it seems to miss the AUX plug-in hole (there is the USB one). Looking in the manual it should be next to the USB one.
The car is a D2 Kinetic with the Business motion pack and in the pack it says port USB + AUX entry. Did any of you have this problem? Or do you now where the AUX could be hidden?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That's where the AUX input should be, but I'm not sure anybody actually has one - my UK R Design only has the USB, and all of the centre consoles I've looked at on breaker's websites don't have the AUX socket either. It's also not enabled in the software on the media system - only USB appears in the list of sources. It might be there on cars with the Premium sound system though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Same here... Don't have the Aux jack either... Only have the High Perf system not premium though so Buzby may be on to something suggesting its a premium audio only inclusion.
I don't miss it as pretty much everything is USB these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it is only with premium why would it be mentioned in the description of the pack I have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have MY13 and only a USB port. You can get an aux Jack into USB cable if that helps.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If it is only with premium why would it be mentioned in the description of the pack I have?
No idea I'm afraid - I've seen it mentioned in descriptions of V40s for sale and in reviews too but I've never seen one so far with the Aux port actually fitted.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Annoying - I would definitely be using the Aux 3.5mm jack. If you use something like an Astel & Kearn digital audio player via USB, the system wants to be the player/controller, not just accept the audio signal. And thus you're back to MP3 files and the odd other thing. In this day and age I can't believe they don't have wav and flac codecs installed. The only way to play CD and higher res files would have been by an Aux input, or otherwise via CD.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
For info.

My MY15 R Design with the Middle Spec Audio (Think it is called performance) does NOT have the aux next to the USB.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've asked the dealer about it. He was saying it should be there and that is strange that is not but will check and let me know. It doesn't bother me much as I play music usually from the phone via Bluetooth but would be nice to have AUX in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
I'd be very interested to know how many cars he has sold if he is telling you it should be there given that no-one on this thread has one or has even seen a car with one!!
I think they are brochure/advertising vapourware to be honest... At least in the V40 :s

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will be raising this with my dealer also, since going over the brochure with a fine tooth-comb i have found that that i too am missing the aux input and a 12v socket in the boot as well as my cooled glove box. Three things listed in the my16 specs and features as standard.

Will be interesting to see what they have to say.....

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Bit more info in this. I checked my MY13 owners manual, and on the first page of the Infotainment section (p242) there is a note at the bottom of the page under the picture showing the location of the AUX/USB port:
"AUX (only applies to Perfomance) - and USB (does not apply to Performance)"

There are 3 levels of media system - Performance (the base level standard for the ES spec), High Performance (standard on R Design and SE upwards) and Premium (the extra cost option with Dolby 5.1 etc). What the note says to me is that the base models with the Performance system got an analogue AUX input, but if your model has the High Performance or Premium system you got the USB port instead .

This is supported by the parts lists in VIDA, which has a different tunnel wiring harness for cars with the base spec media system, and also by the wiring diagram (for the MY13 cars at least), where the AUX analogue port only appears in the diagram for the Performance media system. Interestingly, it also shows an alternative USB port for cars with the Performance system that goes to the ICM instead of the IAM, and an alternative AUX analogue input for Bluetooth-equipped cars that goes to the Bluetooth module instead of the IAM.

The same note is on page 250 of this PDF version of the MY14 manual (it's a 10mb download):
http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owner...320/V40_owners_manual_MY14_en-GB_TP_16042.pdf
Rather confusingly, the manuals refer to the USB input as 'AUX/USB'', even for things that are USB only (such as iPod connection and control).

However, the current MY16 Sensus Infotainment manual (it's been split off from the main owners manual) does not have this note. It still has all the same text regarding the menu options for the AUX input, and the confusing references to 'AUX/USB' when it's really talking about USB.

The current S60/V60 seems to have both AUX and USB ports fitted in it's centre console

and it uses the same media system components and interface as the V40. I'm wondering if Volvo split the Sensus manual off so it could be common to both models, but forgot that important note that specified the AUX port was only present on the V40 base models.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2013 with the high performance audio and both usb and aux.

I guess they changed spac somewhere along the way and forgot to change the manual ;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have a 2013 with the high performance audio and both usb and aux.

I guess they changed spac somewhere along the way and forgot to change the manual ;)
You are the exception that proves the rule!:wink2:

I did say that the 2013 wiring diagram does show the possibility of having both inputs for the High Performance and Premium systems, except the AUX appears to go via the Bluetooth module instead of as a direct input to the IAM like the Performance version.

I checked the 2013 and 2014 German owners manuals and they have the same note about AUX being present only on Performance though, and USB being only on High Performance, It's probably something to do with Volvo's unfathomable spec. changes between markets - I wonder if anywhere other than Germany has cars with both inputs equipped?

·
Registered
11 Posts
All i know is that as soon As You have The high Performance audio System, with a bluetooth Module, aux becomes "irrelevant" as it is assumed that The bluetooth substitutes The AUX.

·
Registered
410 Posts
All i know is that as soon As You have The high Performance audio System, with a bluetooth Module, aux becomes "irrelevant" as it is assumed that The bluetooth substitutes The AUX.
I'm not sure I understand this. I have High Performance Audio as well as bluetooth and I can select either Bluetooth or USB from the media menu

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bit more info in this. I checked my MY13 owners manual, and on the first page of the Infotainment section (p242) there is a note at the bottom of the page under the picture showing the location of the AUX/USB port:
"AUX (only applies to Perfomance) - and USB (does not apply to Performance)"

There are 3 levels of media system - Performance (the base level standard for the ES spec), High Performance (standard on R Design and SE upwards) and Premium (the extra cost option with Dolby 5.1 etc). What the note says to me is that the base models with the Performance system got an analogue AUX input, but if your model has the High Performance or Premium system you got the USB port instead .

This is supported by the parts lists in VIDA, which has a different tunnel wiring harness for cars with the base spec media system, and also by the wiring diagram (for the MY13 cars at least), where the AUX analogue port only appears in the diagram for the Performance media system. Interestingly, it also shows an alternative USB port for cars with the Performance system that goes to the ICM instead of the IAM, and an alternative AUX analogue input for Bluetooth-equipped cars that goes to the Bluetooth module instead of the IAM.

The same note is on page 250 of this PDF version of the MY14 manual (it's a 10mb download):
http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owner...320/V40_owners_manual_MY14_en-GB_TP_16042.pdf
Rather confusingly, the manuals refer to the USB input as 'AUX/USB'', even for things that are USB only (such as iPod connection and control).

However, the current MY16 Sensus Infotainment manual (it's been split off from the main owners manual) does not have this note. It still has all the same text regarding the menu options for the AUX input, and the confusing references to 'AUX/USB' when it's really talking about USB.

The current S60/V60 seems to have both AUX and USB ports fitted in it's centre console

and it uses the same media system components and interface as the V40. I'm wondering if Volvo split the Sensus manual off so it could be common to both models, but forgot that important note that specified the AUX port was only present on the V40 base models.
Dear buzby i hit on that post of yours while researching about usb port. i saw it also on the wiring diagram that performance edition shows a usb connected on ICM and aux on IAM. that means we can retrofit a usb port in that situation?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts