Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volvo V40 T2 Chipped to T4 200hp
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
Im thinking of putting a LED bar on my car since the norwegian winter is long and dark as coal.
To do so I need to connect a relay to my high beam light. Do you have any tips on where I can connect the relay? Would you connect it straight to the high beam bulb or would you connect it to the cars light relay?

Thanks in advice!
Jørgen

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
19 Posts
I have been planning the same, actually bought the light already (a slim 33cm 36W bar) but then comes the hard part: actually mounting the led bar.
Of all Volvo cars, the V40 might be the worst model to mount auxiliary lights to.
Mine has two problems: I can not mount the led bar above the reg. plate as there it will obstruct my radar.
So, I have to mount mine under the reg. plate but not directly to the bumper because of the pedestrian airbag sensors.
This is just a guess, but I think the pedestrian sensors might activate from a heavy led bar in the front when eg. driving in a pothole.
The lamp can cause sudden and abnormal forces on the flexible bumper that will lead to car activating the pedestrian airbag.
I have no clue how sensitive they are but I am not keen on finding out either. Have heard of V40s with direct bumper-mounted lights but never seen one personally.
My current idea is to make new long brackets that are bolted directly to the crash beam behind the bumper and mount the light in the lower grill, just under the reg. plate.
The electrics seem easier: In my 2013 model with bi-xenons I plan to connect the relay coil to the high-beam H7 wire, it is pin no. 9 on the lamp plug.
I will take the power to the led bar with new wires directly from battery.
Quite busy with work now but have planned to take on this task in a couple weeks...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts