Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am from Thailand and am looking to buy a V40 in Thailand. Here, we only have 1 spec of the V40 which is 2.0L turbo with automatic transmission. The engine used is B5204T9. I checked wikipedia and found that this engine has been around for a long time and is not the lastest engine. The Thai Volvo dealer has told me that the engine is direct injection. Can anyone help to verify this as I am getting conflicting information...:huh:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No, it is very good and above all very reliable engine. Go for it. My father has the 2002 S60 with the B5209T5 engine and it very powerfull and reliable even now, after 10 years. Volvo engines are very good. I bought the 1.6 Diesel and I am concerned because the engine is developed by Citroen..This is problem. Not yours. Go for it and do not think about it again. It is very good engine.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hi, I am from Thailand and am looking to buy a V40 in Thailand. Here, we only have 1 spec of the V40 which is 2.0L turbo with automatic transmission. The engine used is B5204T9. I checked wikipedia and found that this engine has been around for a long time and is not the lastest engine. The Thai Volvo dealer has told me that the engine is direct injection. Can anyone help to verify this as I am getting conflicting information...:huh:

Thanks in advance.
This is all I could find in the way of technical data. https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/models/2013/v40/model/specifications.aspx

The B5204T9 is the upper one of the T5 engines. Alternatively, to ask Volvo Car Group your question, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Technical Support

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it is very good and above all very reliable engine. Go for it. My father has the 2002 S60 with the B5209T5 engine and it very powerfull and reliable even now, after 10 years. Volvo engines are very good. I bought the 1.6 Diesel and I am concerned because the engine is developed by Citroen..This is problem. Not yours. Go for it and do not think about it again. It is very good engine.
thanks eugen. i have no doubt that Volvo makes good and reliable engines, especially the tested and proven ones. I just want to know what I am getting instead of being misled by the car dealer. In any case, the waiting time is 5 months, goes to show how popular the car is.:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is all I could find in the way of technical data. https://www.media.volvocars.com/global/enhanced/en-gb/models/2013/v40/model/specifications.aspx

The B5204T9 is the upper one of the T5 engines. Alternatively, to ask Volvo Car Group your question, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on Technical Support
thanks Yellowbelly. this is what I managed to get from the thai website:

http://www.volvocars.com/th/all-cars/volvo-v40/specifications/pages/technical-spec.aspx
it says 5 cylinder direct injection engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Furthermore, you should bear in mind that it is 2.0 litre engine with 213HP and 300Nm and not 1.6 litre engine with 180hp as it is in Europe with only 240 Nm. I repeat. You are very lucky that Volvo offers this engine in your country.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eugen, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Yup, the 2.0T5 is great for petrol heads!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got reply from volvo sweden that the specifications stated in the thai website is official, meaning the B5204T9 is indeed DI. No start stop function though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my V40 I deactivate start/stop every time. My first movement after pressing the ignition button is to deactivate it. I feel a bit unsafe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm... just curious. I thought the start/stop feature is to help save fuel. Any advantage to disable it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
When we test drove the D2 start stop, it started so fast when you dipped the clutch we were amazed, I can't see it being a problem as you'd only drop out of gear when you were going to stop for long enough to worry about fuel.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hmmm... just curious. I thought the start/stop feature is to help save fuel. Any advantage to disable it?
If you disable it, it saves you wondering whether when the engine stops in traffic that it will restart normally and quickly. And in my case, it prevents the engine from annoyingly stopping when I get out to open my garage door. There are probably other reasons that other drivers can come up with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
just came back from a test drive of the V40 with the T5 engine.

1st impression: turbo lag is not apparent, the drive is rather refined and there is no sudden rush when the turbo kicks in. Instead, power comes gradually. The engine revives rather happily when pushed and is not strained with 3 adults in the car.

Start/Stop kicks in only at ambient temperatures of <30 Degrees Celsius. this is almost impossible to achieve in sunny Thailand. Did not have a chance to check out the fuel consumption, but I expect 5 cylinder firing away to be bad in traffic heavy bangkok.

that's all from me for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts